Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of paying £60 plus for a brake cylinder stopper why not make your own, this one cost me absolutly nothing! I made it out of 5mm thick aluminium angle that does not bend at all and keeps the master cylinder rock solid.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Seen these advertised but do they actually have any benefit. I'm assuming they do or they wouldn't be for sale and you wouldn't have made one. S'cuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get someone to stand on the brake pedal while you look at the master cylinder under the bonnet. You will see just how much they move(its quite a lot). It doesn't make a huge difference to the brakes but they definatly feel better and it does feel like it bakes sharper.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Some say they do and some say they don't. I think it does, but only really at higher speeds where you need to depress the pedal much harder.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
ui have notriced a few cars (not skylines as i have never broke one) split the bulkhead behind the servo due to fatigue and a stopper would prevent this

cant be a bad thing, i like the cheapness and simplicity of this mod too

·
Registered
828 Posts
LOL Dave ive done exactly the same with mine but used a steel bit of angle.
Ive also put a rubber grommet between the bolt and cylinder to give it a bit of protection.

In all fairness i didnt feel any difference but ive heard others say they have noticed it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
does the agle bracket bolt strait on to the car or do you have to drill n tap any holes. what are the dimensions of the holes on the brackets.
Cheers
John

·
Registered
828 Posts
There are already 2 threaded holes on the inner wing mate there waiting to be used.
They should have rubber bungs in them covering them up if they havent been used before.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Cheers for that wisecobandt, anyone know the dimensions to drill bracket.
Just play with a bit of 2" angle iron/alloy mate.
I measured the distance between the 2 holes on the inner wing then drilled the measurement onto the angle.Then fit it to the car and work out where the bolt to the brake cylinder needs to go,mark it remove and drill that one.
I welded a nut on the third hole to give it good strength.Fit it make sure it works and then you can cut down and tidy up the edges and pattern it how you want.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
IIRC the bolt holes on the wing are 40mm apart, the other one you will have to work out when its on the car. I drilled and tapped the big bolt hole and put a nut on the other side to give it more strength. The bit that butts up to the master cylinder was made out of flat aluminium and dirlled and tapped.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
nice one Dave

cheap and chearfull mod (very rare on a skyline)

thats the sort of thing i have been looking in to makeing but mine would be mild steel

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
I was going to make one but they are only £20 on ebay

·
4,143 Posts
thats the thing they are so cheap that its worth buying one anyway.
how you doing anyway rich?
we should meet up again soon as i haven't seen you in ages!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i was going to buy one but i couldn't find any on ebay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts