Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,I finally got my car up on the ramps today to change the gearbox and engine oil,now some of you will know i've been having some problems with my gearbox mainly with the 4th gear syncro as it crunches rather than changes and my worst fears came true.Shards of metal were stuck all over the magnetic gearbox oil plug which i had a feeling would be the case.I then refilled the box with royal purple 75/90 gear oil which some people are labeling a wonder oil.Well after driving several miles i can say it hasn't really made much difference the crunch is quieter but still there,however the gears do seem to slip in and out smoother but it's not having the effect i hoped.So back to saving hard for the gearbox rebuild! :rolleyes:

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been quoted between £700-£1000 for a rebuild which seems to be the average from option motorsport anyone had a gearbox rebuild from them?

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
About right.

My replacement (second hand) gearbox was £998 all in.

Gearbox rebuild with uprated components was about £1600.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought about a second hand one but the thing that puts me off is the fact it could be just as bad as the one i've got.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've been noticing that changing into 4th after blatting 3rd can develop a stomach wrenching crunch. 2nd can be a little troublesome until the car gets warm. should I start saving for a gearbox overhaul?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
To be honest mine crunches sometimes, it didnt years ago when i first got it but I had it rebuilt and after a year or so then it was similar again it just seems to be one of theose undocumented bonus features.

The thing ive noticed about it is it doesnt seem to get any worse so i think im going to leave it for the time being as i dont get the feeling its falling apart besides there are prettier toys in the toys shop for me to spend my pocket money on

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lanky said:
I've been noticing that changing into 4th after blatting 3rd can develop a stomach wrenching crunch. 2nd can be a little troublesome until the car gets warm. should I start saving for a gearbox overhaul?
Mine does the same in second when it's really cold, i.e. middle of winter and i've just started it. Do GTS's and 2hundy's share the same gearbox? Skip said his does the same when cold.

·
Registered
299 Posts
One of the chaps down at Option said that my clutch was on it's way out. Would a buggered clutch make some gears clonky and others not? I know which I would prefer to change but I don't want to waste my cash.

Plus does the GTS have the same box as the GTR?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts