Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been brought up with the ethos that high mileage is a bad thing on cars.

How well do these engines last and do i need to be anal about any that have gone past 60k for example. I'm looking to get at least 3 years decent mileage out of the car when i buy.

What sorta mileage are people runinng and how have cars been?

Ta

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Generally speaking I've found these cars usually have below avearge mileage anyway. However, like most cars with higher mileage, as long as its been anually serviced and oils have been changed regularly you should get 3 years decent driving.
Have had mine 2 years and so far (touch wood), with above carried out, has given me no real problems.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My younger son's GTST had 171k on the clock, of which 123k was KM prior to import.

I make that around 125k mls, only work done apart from the usual consumables (lube's, brakes etc) was new turbo's, which was just before he imported it.

It RR'd at 378 bhp so not standard, drove superbly.

Aitch

·
Registered
120 Posts
most of the import in genral get clocked any how there was no way my old 200 had done 70000 kilom more like 100000 miles
dodgy little gits

·
Camel Spotter
109 Posts
Mileage and age for most of the imports. Even a low-mile 10 year old car is going to have rubber seals that are perishing etc - simply because they're old.

The impression I got when I was buying (couple of months ago) was that 60K was a bit of a milestone - this seems to be when the turbo's want to go phut, and engines need 'refreshing'.

Obviously, the more modified,the more strain there is on the components.

In terms of imports being 'clocked', try to get a car with some sort of BIMTA check on import - not perfect or infallable, but better than nothing.

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Its just like any car, you could buy a dog of a car with high mileage, something goes wrong and the milage is blamed. It all depends on how the car is looked after..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The impression I got when I was buying (couple of months ago) was that 60K was a bit of a milestone - this seems to be when the turbo's want to go phut, and engines need 'refreshing'.
Well mine's done 112,000 miles and without wishing to tempt fate, I haven't refreshed or 'phuted' anything. It's a standard R33 GTST.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you intend to not cover many miles why not buy a high mileage car and save some money.

Alternatively if you are going to rack up the miles buy a lowish mileage car so that you don't have to replace the perishable bits so soon.

But still try to find one which has been loved :hippy:

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
Miles mean very little, especially on a Nissan. It's an ancient measure of a car's current quality that doesn't mean very much in this day and age, except in the mind of the seller and the buyer.

My dad bought a 1998 Nissan Maxima a few years back with more than 200.000 miles on the clock. Right now it's approaching 250.000 miles. Since he bought it it's had ..... wait for it ..... a starter motor change and a new battery.

Can't beat Nissan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts