Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I bought a 99% mint replacement Drivers side headlight.. ^-- HERE IT IS AFTER A QUICK T-CUT

BUT!!!

Whilst in transit, the courier seems to have given it a bit of a kicking :( :(

***Whats the best way to go about repairing this ??? - Martin.

·
Seasoned Member
9,068 Posts
soldering iron and learning to plastic weld :)

Look on youtube for more info.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Super glue and activator the cracks 1st then glue a plastic patch over the whole lot, or even use rubber inatube, just make sure it's clean 1st.:cheers:

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Super glue and activator the cracks 1st then glue a plastic patch over the whole lot, or even use rubber inatube, just make sure it's clean 1st.:cheers:
This sounds like a good idea...But how would I secure the *missing clip (that's also snapped) !? It would be really ..It would be cool if I could save it without too much hassle .... :/ - Martin.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
This sounds like a good idea...But how would I secure the *missing clip (that's also snapped) !? It would be really ..It would be cool if I could save it without too much hassle .... :/ - Martin.
You can glue and activate that as well mate, just leave it to go off overnight then give it like a weld coat over the top, I did my headlight bracket on mine and it's rock solid, hope this helps

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can glue and activate that as well mate, just leave it to go off overnight then give it like a weld coat over the top, I did my headlight bracket on mine and it's rock solid, hope this helps
When you say Glue and "ACTIVATE" ...how do you mean activate...do you have a LINK to the exact glue etc..I'll need ?? - Martin.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Activator comes in a spray can you spray the area to be glued, give it a minute then apply the glue to the cracks and hold in place for 10-20seconds .this will sort all the cracked areas then it's up to you what you use for the patch (plastic/rubber) spray the area again wait 10/20 seconds, glue the patch ,hold in place for a minute, then I would leave it over night then glue around the patch and spray the area again this will form like a weld around the patch, have you got a PVC company in the area(windows/fascia and soffits that kind of thing) you can buy both for about a fiver mate

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Activator comes in a spray can you spray the area to be glued, give it a minute then apply the glue to the cracks and hold in place for 10-20seconds .this will sort all the cracked areas then it's up to you what you use for the patch (plastic/rubber) spray the area again wait 10/20 seconds, glue the patch ,hold in place for a minute, then I would leave it over night then glue around the patch and spray the area again this will form like a weld around the patch, have you got a PVC company in the area(windows/fascia and soffits that kind of thing) you can buy both for about a fiver mate
Excellent thats most helpful :) ..I'll look into this and try n get the glue & activator sorted ready to attempt repair.... Have you got pics at all from when you repaired your clip etc.. ? - Martin

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sorry mate no pics of the lights I mended it was one of the underneath clips that I had to mend behind the bumper, hope it works for you..:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
This happened to mind too, i make sure to package my lights well when i send them off so this doesn;t happen.

i just super glued mine back on, as suggested, glue all the cracks first so you have a solid 2 piece foundation, then glue them together, simple

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What Glue etc.. ??

Does anyone happen to know what the most powerful plastic-to-plastic glue & activator is ?? - Martin

·
Points don't mean prizes!
2,029 Posts
I personally would use a hammer. If you use a very large one and with enough force the head could fill that hole if you hit it hard enough.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm a window fitter mate, I use it everyday at work to stick plastic to plastic, you can even stick plastic to metal with it, it just about sticks anything if your patient with it, get it from any PVC stockist,

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Sounds interesting but suspect it could go tits up quite easily !? ..I'll look it up on you-tube though n see whats involved - Martin.
It's not too hard tbh

Daz is a cap end

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
LOL...Hammer!....................... 'no I don't think so' :) lol..

I personally would use a hammer. If you use a very large one and with enough force the head could fill that hole if you hit it hard enough.
Lol...always full of useful information dude !? lol.. No hammers will be used :dogpile:

I actually plan to super-glue and 'activate' all the cracks, apply a reinforcement thin lead infused layer of plastic film and try and rebuild it with layers of super-glue...

Failing that..I kinda came up with another idea to save it this morning.. I could 'Dremmel out' a perfect square (around the cracked area) and then make a template and cut out a plastic square the same size from my current (fog/steam-damaged) headlight.. ..I could then slot the pieces together more efficiently (if I cut the holes with the Dremmel at an angle) ...and the clip would already be present...then finish up with 3 or 4 coats of Super-glue all over (for extra strength) and finally give it a quick blast with a Mat Black rattle can paint, and rub in some engine grease for good measure !! :) ... that way it should fit perfect...be held in position & secured perfectly ...and not look too out of place nor repaired (all going well,fingers crossed).

Failing that...I'll try my hand at Fiberglass... not done any of that before...but how hard can it be !? ...I would only need to use a small amount and providing I took my time and thought it through am pretty sure I could pull it off !? :)

....and at a last result, I will try and do a lens swap with a heat gun....after that...

....and "ONLY" - After that... Will I take the biggest HAMMER I can find and send it directly to Hell! lmfao..

How's you anyway dude? ..Stacey ok? ...not seen ya in a while... whats the latest with your 32 ?? - Martin:40oz:

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
dude seriously, for all the messing about your planning on doing just change the lens over, all you need is a screw driver, a heat gun and patients and itll be job done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts