Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a forged bottom end for my GTR, the sump is still attached, and I need to know if I've got what I payed for when I pick it up.

The block has forged pistons and con rods, and was re-bored and rebuilt 1500 miles ago.

I imagine I will still be able to see the hone marks on the bores after such low mileage, but are forged pistons easily recognisable from the top of the engine with the head off? Do I need to take the sump off to check, and if so, what should I look for?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Harriet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you pull off sump and look at one of the pistons at a down stroke you can see. cast pistons have a rougher surface were not machined, probably see casting lines maybe, were forged will be beautiful, nice and smooth

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
i think forged ones are usually marked so when you look up from the bottom use a torch to look at them

·
bla
17,374 Posts
isnt anyone in sussex that can view it with her so she dosent buy a flinger??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol - I'm not a "her" I'm afraid - sorry to disappoint. It's CrazyDog here, using my fiancee's login as I'm waiting for site admin to tell me why I can't log in on my account

Cheers, for the offers, but the sump is still fitted, so I won't be able to see the rods when I pick it up.

I guess the markings on the tops of the piston will tell me though. I'll check the rods when I get it home and getthe sump off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really appreciate the offer TFS. I picked the block up quite late and had to get it straight home.

The pistons are definitely forged, they even have cut-outs for valve clearance. The bores are fantastic - smooth as silk and hone marks still clearly visible and no step. It was quoted as a doing 1500 miles since rebuild and it certainly looks that way. Safe to say I'm pretty chuffed with my purchase.

Here's a couple of pics....

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
For the record, nothing visibly wrong with the Crazy Dog login ;)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
tell us more about the engine, what was the spec etc??? :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
No more little_lady for me as I've got my login sorted - thanks General Banter :bigthumb:

tell us more about the engine, what was the spec etc??? :D
Spec as follows:-

Tomei h-beam conrods
JE pistons 87mm
standard crank (balanced)
ACL race series bearings
N1 oil pump
N1 water pump
block (bore out 87mm)
HKS twin plate clutch (only 1500miles)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts