Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just tried to renovate some wheels I bought recently. They were already painted black.

I rubbed down the chipped area. Sprayed on 2-3 layers of undercoat, then sprayed 2-3 layers of black paint on.

I noticed at this point that the spray had given a mottled effect, I carried on.....

Finally I used fine (wet) wet&dry to rub down once more, and sprayed on a final couple of coats of black.

I hoped this last step would flatten out the underpaint, allowing the final coat to be flat. but it isn't.. it's still mottled. Maybe mottled isn't the right word, but it's not completely flat, it's textured... a bit like skin..

T

·
0 Posts
Orange-peele? it'll need more rubbing down with 320. then put on the basecoat then once that's dry apply the lacquer. :bigthumb:

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
you may just need to keep wet sanding it

·
Seasoned Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, orange peel :)

So the final step is not paint, but high grit wet&dry (I have 2000), and then polish, or lacquer?

Any recommendations on lacquer?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
you should have smoothed each layer of primer/paint with wet and dry,you get a smoother end result for less work(it doesnt take as long to do the laquer part) and the paint will last longer

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
make sure they are prepped well free of all oils dust and dirt, spray on primer. then your layers of paint then flat the paint back with some g3 compound and a soft sponge, using a buffer!!

Not so easy on wheels !!

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
you need to polish it before you laquor it ;)
dude are you serious? if you do this the lacquer will just peel off like sun burnt skin.

youve got really bad orange peel by the sounds of things bud.

have you used direct gloss or basecoat?

if youve used direct gloss then you should be able to flat it back with fine wet and dry p2000 grit and then polish it back up.
if its base coat then youll need to flat it back with some p2000 and then give it 2-3 coats of lacquer.
are you useing rattle cans or a proper spray gun?

does the paint feel rough when you touch it? im just trying to figure out weather its orange peel or weather its what we in the bodyshop trade call dry

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
dude are you serious? if you do this the lacquer will just peel off like sun burnt skin.

if youve used direct gloss then you should be able to flat it back with fine wet and dry p2000 grit and then polish it back up.
if its base coat then youll need to flat it back with some p2000 and then give it 2-3 coats of lacquer.

does the paint feel rough when you touch it? im just trying to figure out weather its orange peel or weather its what we in the bodyshop trade call dry
Exactly the advice i got last night when I asked a friend who's been in the business years.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
i think i may get a crappy old wheel and refurb it and put up a step by step on here if there isnt one already?
VERY good idea mate! If you could that would be awesome. Me and a friend of mine are going to try something like this soon on two spare sets of rims and could do with some advice on how to get at least a semi good result. :gay:

I am even thinking about spraying my whole car - the old daily driver of course. But don´t have Pro equipment, so we need advice on how to do it with simple stuff, like primer and spray cans. No worries, not after a show finish, really more for fun and trying out.

And please add some info if procedure has to be different if you´re spraying matt or shiney as we might even go for a matt job. :D

·
Seasoned Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Orange peel descibes the finish perfectly. Not "rough" exactly, mildly lumpy :)

I'm using rattle cans of base coat, followed by gloss black.

I'll try gently rubbing back with 2000 and polish - thanks alot!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Have you got one of those spray guns for cans? It clips over the top of the can and lets you use it like a spray gun... I got mine from Halfords for a couple of quid and it's made spraying with cans so much easier :D

T

·
0 Posts
Have you got one of those spray guns for cans? It clips over the top of the can and lets you use it like a spray gun... I got mine from Halfords for a couple of quid and it's made spraying with cans so much easier :D
Stop Swearing......:eek:

But yeah I've used them before, not bad but tend to dribble the paint over the front of the can.

An air compressor with a "clarke" spray gun should suffice!

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
VERY good idea mate! If you could that would be awesome. Me and a friend of mine are going to try something like this soon on two spare sets of rims and could do with some advice on how to get at least a semi good result. :gay:

I am even thinking about spraying my whole car - the old daily driver of course. But don´t have Pro equipment, so we need advice on how to do it with simple stuff, like primer and spray cans. No worries, not after a show finish, really more for fun and trying out.

And please add some info if procedure has to be different if you´re spraying matt or shiney as we might even go for a matt job. :D
spraying gloss and matt are prett much the same mate with matt you still need to try and get a smooth finish on it its just a differant type of paint.

its gonna be a little while before i can do it coz im a bit struck for cash but i will defo do it and post it all up. sprayin a car with a rattle can is something ive never actually done and im not sure id want to lol ive sprayed a few small car bits with cans like mirror covers and i honestly find it harder than doing it properly.
if you do wanna know anything before i get around to doing a guide then just ask mate

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
Orange peel descibes the finish perfectly. Not "rough" exactly, mildly lumpy :)

I'm using rattle cans of base coat, followed by gloss black.

I'll try gently rubbing back with 2000 and polish - thanks alot!!
you shouldnt use base coat with direct gloss mate that could be part of the problem bud because base coat goes on alot dryer than gloss and itll show through the gloss and make its harder to get a good finish. personally id use base coat and lacquer.

have your tried flatting them and polishing them yet? how have you got on?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heres how i did mine not saying it right though i rubbed my wheels down with fine wire wool its easer on your fingers getting into the bends and corners
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/cheezelee/100_6432.jpg
then i let the tyre down and mask it up with thin plastic they wrap burgers up in it at the butchers cut them up into 2inch strips and slide them between the rim and the tyre
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/cheezelee/100_6433.jpg
all the way round and stick them down with tape
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/cheezelee/100_6434.jpg
prime the wheel up with primer thin light coats and leave to dry 2 hours ish
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/cheezelee/100_6437.jpg
lightly rub down and dust off then spray your top coat on leave a couple of hours
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/cheezelee/100_6438.jpg
then lacquer leave to dry pull off the masking polish up and bobs ya uncle
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/cheezelee/100_6429.jpg
hope this helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts