Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys n girls! i kno this happens to EVERYONE but...just had a interesting convo with a M5 owner (ok....stop sighing!) its a V reg and is fckin quick! Then i brought up the topic that a tuned GTR would be faster.....mistake! i was bombarded by comments about the torque of the M5 compared to GTR. i kno the M5 is torquey because of its V8 but i said that the Sumo power GTR would leave it standing...n then they go the straight six cant really cope with that much power..but the V8 can. ??

can anyone give me sum ammunition on this? im not gonna lose this one! :alco:

thanks

x merry christmas x

phrozen

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Just get him down the traffic lights. Theory sucks...

Power...torque...weight. Who cares, it's who wins that counts.

Point out the 0-60 on the Mazda RX-8 to him. It sucks. Then look at the 0-60mph time. Kinda puts it into perspective.

N

·
0 Posts
Torque , is GRUNT , its gererally used for towing CARAVANS , ie the grunt 2 move something , V8s always have had this.
Buses have TORQUE , things like that .

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
you can't really argue a mod'd versus standard thing. What if the M5 was mod'd too? Swings and roundabouts mate.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The Sumo Power GTR would crush a STANDARD M5 on about every measure as firstly it is close to 1000 bhp, has superior traction as the M5 is RWD only and they weigh about the same.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
However, "BHP sells, torque wins races"

See how those F1 cars with better torque pull away from other cars?

Anyway M5 is far too heavy... about 400kg more than a skyline.

edited to say: buggerit, beaten by a minute. clearly someone has more torque than me :D

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
And a Tractor has more torque than anything quoted so far but I would still feel pretty comfortabe in a race - unless pulling a piece of farm equipment was involved!

N

·
0 Posts
Exactly .

race horse = power
shire horse = torque

and ya cant flog a dead horse, less it 2 a French Butcher ;-)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, im getting the hang of this!

just a question, the M5 has around 400bhp, im pretty sure bmw tweaked the nuts off it to get that, but a RB26 is capable of a 1000bhp so surely that proves that the straight 6 can handle the power?

also, a 400bhp GTR against a 400bhp M5....would the traction provided by the GTR be enough to keep up/beat the torque of the M5 ? surely if the sumo power R34 is running low 1/4 mile runs, it must be putting the power to the ground?

cheerz guys :)

phrozen

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Good analogy that Nitesky - one of the best I have heard!

An M5 0-60 is 4.9 seconds, The Sumo R34 2.91 seconds.
I think the quoted quarter mile for an M5 is 13 seconds versus the R34 at 10.2.

Hope that helps.

N

·
0 Posts
phrozen , at the end of the day a R34GTR will take the piss out of this bmw all day long,,,,,,,, no all week all year long.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
nice one guys n girls! im afraid my RB20 powered GTSt wont prove much of a point apart from the bmw owner not believing it was a 2.0! i was like.....well yeh sure it is .....it says right over........here????

:p

just out of curiousity, is there any jap performance car that has more/equal torque to a M5??

thanks

phrozen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not many Nissans on sale new in UK are that big on torque. In Japan and America they sell Infiniti Q45 which has fantastic 4.5 V8 engine with loads of torque I dont have the exact figure to hand but when I go back home to Tokyo for a visit I will find out or look it up in my Japanese model book and post the figures.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i forgot about the infinti range of cars for a sec!what about the 350Z or V35? any news on the tunability of them?

one for jaffa, how are rotaries on torque?

phrozen

1 - 20 of 80 Posts