Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few years I've run both a Veilside Supra, and a R33 GTR. (Same Supra, but three different GTR's) The Supra has a single T78 turbo, and the GTR's have had a T78, T88 singles, and now twins.

The Supra runs at 0.7 bar, and must be developing 500bhp at the crank. I've not bothered to have it dyno'd for the past couple of years, as its fast enough, and has always been much faster than any of the GTR's.

All of the GTR's have had at least the same power, but Supra's 6 speed box, and the GTR's much greater powertrain losses leads me to believe that a GTR needs at least 600BHP to match the performance of a 500BHP Supra.

And before anyone thinks this is a GTR knocking post, its not. I've reached the point where I can only really keep one fun car now, and its the Supra that's going. The Skyline is the better all rounder, and more practicle for my needs.

But I am really going to miss the Supra, and I will be spending the money with GTArt to give the 500R the same "fun factor" the Toyota has.

Anyone else drive the same two cars, and have reached the same conclusion regarding their power/performance?

·
Points don't mean prizes!
2,029 Posts
The main thing that i found with a TT supra compared to a TT Skyline is the larger capacity of the supra could gain more torque easily and quite a bit more power on standard internals, but they do tend to be very scitish, just ask my friend :disappointed: If your in any doubt about performence of a Skyline compared to a Supra get an R32 with the same power and then see which is faster :devil:

·
Wedding Photographer
3,419 Posts
I'm guessing the Gtr out weighs the Supra slightly with its 4wd?
I think I would still sooner the Gtr over the Supra.
The Mrs has the N/a Supra, which is nice but not in the same build quality as the Gtr imho.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ive had both and love them both but i still feel the skyline has the edge but also has its downsides ...namely cost of increasing power,i found skyline has cost more but thats my experience and it also depends where you take your pride and joy ,unfortunately i found the cowboys now im with gbh ,great guys and great builders i hope,personlly i think it has to be a personnal choice to choose between them...if this makes sense

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
GTR's aren't great engine for producing torque, even against the GTS, so the supra with that 3L will be great for torque, also the GTR is gonna weigh more and have bigger power train losses.

The one big advantage with the GTR will be in the wet and how even in the dry at bigger power levels how aggressively you can get on the power, also with its grip it'll feel more stable giving the sensation of it not feeling as quick.

Put your prob find the GTR will need an extra 100bhp to give the same feel.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The GTR is by far the safer car, thats why the Supra doesn't go out unless the roads are dry (Its nice watching cars punching their arses out on Top Gear's private runway, but not on the A47 and its my £12k heading for the hedge!)

The Supra's 3L scores on torque, reliability (From my own experience and 3 GTR engine's later) and ease of increasing power outputs cheaply, up to 500 bhp. The steering feel is also fantastic. My cousin has a 996 GT2, and the Supra and his car feel very similar on the road. If I haven't found a buyer for the car before spring, the plan is to take the GTR, Supra, and my 550 bhp Aristo (Also for sale) onto the A1 for for a late night comparison, as it stands, I think the GTR will be the slowest, but as soon as Gary has moved his dyno, its down to Brighton to have the engine mapped.

Money's tight this year, but I will find the funds to get the power up. The engine's been built to run 800bhp, the only thing left to do is increase the fueling. But as we all know, its always an on going labour of love.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.