Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I have the auto GTT - does anyone know how car I can go with regards to modding for more power. As obviously with a manual after a certain point you have to uprate the clutch to stop things burning out.

What happens with an auto box? Is there anything that can be upgraded?

If not at what point will things start to go wrong?

Thanks for any advices :)

·
360 TAG: vizibledog
775 Posts
I'm currently looking into taking mine to the limit of the auto box and after a few conversations with a very reliable tuner have been told that he can get it up to around 400bhp but recons with a bit of work on the torque converter it could take 440bhp.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaah, interesting stuff. Around 400bhp was all I was looking to go for now anyways. So they have somthing called a "high clutch" that should be uprated? Will keep an eye out for such a thing unless anyone has any links to examples I can check out :D

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Richard you must have been reading my mind. I was wondering if you can upgrade and auto box. Because I too am aiming for 400 next year.

I thought people could mod up to 400 without many probs but Andy has got me worrying a little now.

I hope someone on here has the answers :)

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
I would agree with the above.
Standard boxes will handle 350 maybe 375
Gearboxes wear out like other parts so a tired box may not be happy handling 350 wheras a new one will probably cope with 375

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but can you get an uprated auto box? or parts for the autobox that will allow it to handle more?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Australia have easy access to companies that will happily upgrade you auto box to handle more power.

Was also reading that one auto box was only able to cope with 335bhp! He got a full upgrade and they can also make the gear changes virtually instant.

Another thing is they like doing is conversions to manuals. Apparently they have so many parts available it is a viable option. I reckon you would be looking at a fortune to do that over hear.

And yes I know none of the above helps our plight :)

·
Forum Thug
4,552 Posts
I believe that the auto box will handle 400bhp and then start to fail (was told by Rich at RSP). I am going to get mine to 400bhp and run it until the box gives up the ghost and then get a manual conversion done. Drove a manual R33 on the weekend and now I want one!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe yeah, an upgrade and instant gear changes would be a brilliant mod to do. just finding somewhere that can do this really

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I've got one that changes instantly and its fantastic.

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Hi Rich,

Read Andyuk's posts on changing his autobox. It is very informative and will give you an idea of whats involved. He has also mentioned a company in the UK that does high clutches if you need to swap.

I am also aiming for 400 and am already talking to RSP regarding this. I will let you know how I progress. There may not be any gain without the pain but once you get there it'll be worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts