Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan parts counter, somewhere in Nottingham.

"Ding.....wait....ding......wait....."
"Sorry to keep you, what can I do for you?"
"I'm after some front brake pads for a Skyline R33"
"Wooo! Ok, UK spec?"
"No it's an import"
*tap tap tap...*
"Right then, front pads, UK spec ones are ~250 + VAT for a GTR. Have you got the chassis and model numbers and i'll check on the Japanese parts CD"

*sharp intake of breath, laugh, hand over numbers, bloke dissapears*
"I can't get onto the computer at the moment can I take your details and call you monday"
"It's a GTSt, just the front pads"
*gave details and left*

That's not right is it! I defo said pads and he defo said ~250 + VAT.

Cutting to the chase I need some new pads in my GTSt asap, where can I get some? I'm not after anything fancy (expensive) just standard pads. Has anyone upgraded to different pads and have the old ones kicking about? Same as 300ZX TT right?

Probably need disks as well at some point if anyone knows where to get them for the right money.

Unfortunately everything seems to come at the same time... :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Thats bloody ridiculous. I got some front pads a while ago from Amber Performance .
Delivered less than 48hrs later & a lot les than £250 + VAT.
In fact about £190 less!!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Rears are same as 300zx TT for sure. EBC do pads for em.
GTR fronts are same as BMW 728 Red stuff is the way to go for front, green for rear

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have been listening to a squeak from the front and today whilst checking my oil I looked at the drivers side front pad and it has about 1.5mm on material left!! :eek: :eek:

Thing is I also need new disks, anyone got any recommendations?

I wont apologise for the high jack as it is related to the topic!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
try 3g again....

They do cover Skylines (R32, R33 and R34) although not mentioned last time I checked the website....

Just phone and ask.

They do discs made from Brembo castings, both flat, grooved, and grooved/drilled.

Think the grooved/drilled ones are about £150 give or take.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm expecting the guy to ring me on monday and say "er, sorry that price was for disks" but probably not eh!

Got some on order from a local place 45+vat. For that price got to be worth a go. He's going to get me a price on disks too.

Monday night should have the pads in so better dig out the bedding in procedure...

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well didn't speak to the parts guy today - I missed his call, then he missed mine so maybe tomorrow.

I picked up the new pads today and got a bit worried when they said 2.0l 200sx on the box. Now I've heard the 300zx TT pads fit but not the 200sx pads. Anyway, went back in the shop after trying to see the pads on my car (couldn't) and asked the guy to double check the numbers. He showed me the computer and the number was correct. All the way home I thought 'these aren't going to fit'. Got a wheel off, pads out and they are exactly the same as the nissan ones in it now.

Every day's a schoolday!

So how do I push the pistons back in??

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just remembered - he said disks would be £140 + VAT each (not drilled & grooved).

What's this price like??

EDIT - Wow, that's like twice the price of 3G :eek: Next!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Take the lid off the resevoir and use a wooden hammer handle as a lever. If you meet mega resistance something is wrong. They will slide back nice and easy. Make sure all is clean and stick em in.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm,

I had taken the lid off and tried with me thumbs (had nothing to hand to lever with). They seemed to move a bit but returned to where they were.

At the weekend i'l get everything clean and have a proper go.

I've thought about painting the calipers, although I do quite like the factory 'purple'. Gold's the only colour i've considered but is it a bit gay on a white car? OK, gold Brembos look cool but that's what colour they are out the box. Is painting std calipers too Max P?

E

·
0 Posts
They might need a bit of gentle persuassion but after a while they will free up & go in easy.

You might want to wrap an old rag around the brake fluid resrvoir. When you push the pistons right home all the fluid will come out the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts