Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I split a set of split rims?????

Have removed the rubber and all the bolts, and the valves. also removed the 1cm wide band of silver coloured sealant that ran around the rim on the inside bit (thats full of air normally).

Now, I expected to find a seam under that strip of sealant, but there isn't, just a groove, but no indication of a join. Which is odd (I think) because.....

When I look at the opening for the valve to poke thru to the face of the wheel I can see the 3 component parts, IE the front rim, the centre with spokes on, and the rear section, so I know they are 3 piece wheels, but I can't figure out how to split em.
Do I buy a big rubber mallet and start pounding away? Or are there any bright sparks of inspiration out there who can help?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really.....

I'm a hands-on kinda guy! Rather do the work and learn about the car as I go (unless its something seriously expensive) if I can. Saves cash too until I break something!

Its a set of wheels I bought for a complete steal price, with the caveat that they need refurbished. And no-one will do split rims, so I have stripped em bare with Nitro Mors, and once split they will get sanded down and seriously buffed up then re-lacuered. Should be awesome mirror finish, IF I can split the damn things!

E

·
0 Posts
Theres obviously something youre missing. I would have thought that with all bolts removed they would split fairly easily with a gentle tap with a copper mallet.
Still if at 1st you dont succeed,use brute force;)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh heh!

Well, I can't get em to split for one simple reason.... They are welded! Looks like a factory job. Oh well, have to refurb them as they are. Saves me finding sealant etc to put em back together with!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
This split rim thing must be a fashion statement from the manufacturers of wheels. I am sure the majority of them are mock ups.
The only reason you need a split rim is if the tyre is such a large bastard that the only way to fit it is buy splitting the rim, ie aircraft wheels and some lorrys.
The disadvantage of a true split rim is the chance that it can leak air around the seal, who would want that mare of a problem?
An RAF aircraft fitter lost his life to a split rim many years ago when he undid the wrong nuts to remove the wheel. The rim that he had unwittingly undone blew of with 240 psi of nitrogen behind it and cut him in half. After that they painted the rim nuts red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts