Skyline Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
female skyline owner
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is probably the most fiddliest job EVER but worth while I think..

First of all you need to remove the switches and pull them carefully apart, make a mental note of how they go back together.

(ive used the rear Demist switch here in the photos)

Once apart there is 2 tiny bulbs in a rubber housing, they just pull off the terminals. but I left the orange one as mine still works it was just the smaller illuminating one on mine that packed up..

Now for the fiddly bit, I used a tiny pin and a pair of tweezers to unwrap the old bulbs wire out of the bulb holder

I then used a Blue frosted LED from ultraleds (it already had a resistor on it) and placed that into the bulb holder carefully wrapping the wires back around the bulb holder.. the Led is a tight fit but you have enough clearance in the switch for it so its ok..

Now fit the switch back together I found leaving the front button off while fitting back together was easier.. and also don't put the button back on till you've tested the switch back in the car as LEDS only work in one direction and if it doesn't work the you can get a pair of tweezers to turn the bulb holder around without having to take the switch apart again..

the same for the hazard switch although I found when I done that one my LED didn't flash when the hazards were on, but it still stays lit, must be to do with the resistor but I thought no biggy really as long as the hazards work lol

I'll try and get some pics in the dark of my dash now as I replaced the heater bulbs as well for white LEDS so it all looks rather cool lol

Hope this has helped any one having probs in changing these bulbs

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
great work it's looking very nice.

there was another thread some where to do this but with a lot smaller led's it also showed how to do the window switches as well, i think it was a thread by Aitch. < i think thats how he spelt his used name

·
Registered
127 Posts
fiddliest job EVER .. i agree

opened the hazard switch and a bit of plastic went flying out took me ages to work out where it came from :/

·
female skyline owner
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah mine fell apart in my hands.. so I gave it to my boyfriend to fix who wasn't very happy tehehehe :spank:

fiddliest job EVER .. i agree

opened the hazard switch and a bit of plastic went flying out took me ages to work out where it came from :/

·
female skyline owner
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I managed to change the cig lighter bulb to a blue led as well.

so thought i'd take a pic with my crappy phone to show my blue gel bits and the blue leds looks alot better than the pic shows tho

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Do you have the part number for the LEDS from ultraleds?

This is probably the most fiddliest job EVER but worth while I think..

First of all you need to remove the switches and pull them carefully apart, make a mental note of how they go back together.

(ive used the rear Demist switch here in the photos)

Once apart there is 2 tiny bulbs in a rubber housing, they just pull off the terminals. but I left the orange one as mine still works it was just the smaller illuminating one on mine that packed up..

Now for the fiddly bit, I used a tiny pin and a pair of tweezers to unwrap the old bulbs wire out of the bulb holder

I then used a Blue frosted LED from ultraleds (it already had a resistor on it) and placed that into the bulb holder carefully wrapping the wires back around the bulb holder.. the Led is a tight fit but you have enough clearance in the switch for it so its ok..

Now fit the switch back together I found leaving the front button off while fitting back together was easier.. and also don't put the button back on till you've tested the switch back in the car as LEDS only work in one direction and if it doesn't work the you can get a pair of tweezers to turn the bulb holder around without having to take the switch apart again..

the same for the hazard switch although I found when I done that one my LED didn't flash when the hazards were on, but it still stays lit, must be to do with the resistor but I thought no biggy really as long as the hazards work lol

I'll try and get some pics in the dark of my dash now as I replaced the heater bulbs as well for white LEDS so it all looks rather cool lol

Hope this has helped any one having probs in changing these bulbs

·
Registered
778 Posts
Awesome thanks! I am going to try and buy some locally. I bought some from Australia, but there is no way they will fit in the rubber sleeve...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does anyone know on this picture:

if the negative is on the top or bottom tab?

I shredded the rubber housing trying to fit bigger bulbs so i figure i will solder the led to the tabs...

Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
HOLY thread revival! And no, you need resistors even for 12v LED's. Please check post dates before posting please.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.