Skyline Owners Forum banner

How to De-Cat????

799 views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  skyline69 
#1 ·
sorry im pretty newbie with these stuff, after taking out the cat what do i replace it with? Also will i be able to take it to the ordinary mechanics for this as i understand its illegal???

#2 ·
It needs replacing with a decat pipe, which is leterrally that, a piece of pipe with a flange on each end.

These are available from most of the dealers advertising on this forum, or privately if anyone has one spare..which I do have as it happens.

Prices vary, as does the quality, and it does need to be decent as it will have to be in and out every year for MOT, which is why I got ours from Abbey Motorsport.

PM me if interested

Aitch

#14 ·
The standard cat on a Skyline is 500 density, sports cat's are available in 300 or 200 density. The lower the density the better the flow, but any lower than 200 and MOT's can be a problem, 200's are also more expensive than 300 density units..go figure as they have less in them! Abbey have a 200 density unit available to order..but you won't get much change out of £400, if any after delivery charges, but that's par for the course on these items if they are quality. No sports cat can possibly flow as much as a decat pipe, but with a bit of tweaking it's a safer bet for MOT's and roadside Vosa tests for later motors.

Aitch

#16 ·
Straight swap and the sensor is not required, it won't affect the ECU as it's "off" by default. So, if it's not fitted it won't have any input, and if it is fitted the chance of it activating in a decat pipe is zero, so again no input to the ECU. It's there to detect a cat which is blocking and getting hot as a result, a straight through pipe is not going to block or get overheated so no output from the sensor, ergo no input to the ECU.

Aitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.