Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi im a newbie

Ive been a member now for a couple of months and one thing has struck me as being most infuriating. This site is undoubtably filled with great information but why?? is it hidden.

While Ive been lookin around the site Ive come across some brilliant how to guides on jobs I wasnt looking for.But find it allmost impossible to find a guide to a job I am looking for using the seach feature.

for example fitting a dawes device on a r33gtst. search turns up loads of results which eather start by saying, this has been covered many times allready so i wont repeat, or all the people answering the question try to talk the person asking the question into buying a diferant usually more expensive product. or they slap a nice big picture up of there new wheel nuts. and the thread then shoots off at a tangent.

Would it be possible for all the really good how to guides to be collected up and have a list of links to them please?

This isnt criticism just me not wanting all the great stuff on this site and the hard work people have put into writing these guides to be findable.

thanks Simon :cheers:

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
We did have a how to section, but it was never used. This along with the concern that information provided is not correct and could cause damage to a car or in worst case scenario cause a fatal accident.

As Deggers mentioned, the Skyline Owners Club has a how to section, but I think you need to join the club to access it.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
LABRAT said:
hi im a newbie

Ive been a member now for a couple of months and one thing has struck me as being most infuriating. This site is undoubtably filled with great information but why?? is it hidden.

While Ive been lookin around the site Ive come across some brilliant how to guides on jobs I wasnt looking for.But find it allmost impossible to find a guide to a job I am looking for using the seach feature.

for example fitting a dawes device on a r33gtst. search turns up loads of results which eather start by saying, this has been covered many times allready so i wont repeat, or all the people answering the question try to talk the person asking the question into buying a diferant usually more expensive product. or they slap a nice big picture up of there new wheel nuts. and the thread then shoots off at a tangent.

Would it be possible for all the really good how to guides to be collected up and have a list of links to them please?

This isnt criticism just me not wanting all the great stuff on this site and the hard work people have put into writing these guides to be findable.

thanks Simon :cheers:

i hope to be adding the tuning stages to my rebuild/setting up guide in the projects section over the next couple of months

if there is something you would like to see on there please let me know before i finish it

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Great stuff T.F.S.

I have a few ideas that will enable me to reinstate the How To section but remove any legal liability associated with the information. Keep your eyes peeled.

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
Does it really go that deep when considering legal liability Lenny? I thought it was just a case of applying a nice big fat warning at the start and end of every thread of this nature that basically states that the info contained within is used at their own risk.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
Lenny said:
Great stuff T.F.S.

I have a few ideas that will enable me to reinstate the How To section but remove any legal liability associated with the information. Keep your eyes peeled.
it may be an idea to instate someone as "advisor" to look over and edit threads

this would have to be someone who knew these cars inside out though....another line of defence i guess

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Spearmint said:
Does it really go that deep when considering legal liability Lenny? I thought it was just a case of applying a nice big fat warning at the start and end of every thread of this nature that basically states that the info contained within is used at their own risk.
That would do the job, but I have a more low maintenance solution that could be used elsewhere (such as Nitey's room). Basically, the first time to go in to a specific forum on this site you will get an agreement popup and your acceptance of this agreement is registered. You will only have to do this once per agreement.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Perhaps the How To guides should be restricted to the SOC, Would encourage more people to join up. I don't think that 7p a day is too much to ask for when you considder how much you get for it.

Just my thoughts tho.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mark I allways thought forums were about enthusiasts swapping information, hints, tips and generally a comming together of minds.

charging people for info that in essance u got for nothing is a bit off. are u going to start paying your contributors?

simon

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
All the information is available from one of the many Skyline forums around. I don't think paying for it is necessary when it is already freely available. The SOC provides value for money in other ways.

·
Registered
771 Posts
don't get me wrong, i don't think that information should be restricted. Just think that if how to's are going to be made and put as sticky's then maybe this should be something for the pay site. If you need to know something then by all means ask. just think that a how to section is something that should stay on the soc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts