Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I just had to have a go at this and get something sorted as this seems to be asked several times a week. Feel free to correct/add to THIS SUBJECT so that we get a definitive answer. I'll incorparate any suggestions so we end up with one sticky post.

This works on R32/R33 (it it the same on R34??)
  • Warm engine and switch off with wheels pointing straight ahead.
  • Turn on ignition but don't start the engine.
  • Bridge the two pins in the diagnostic connector for two seconds (see image below). I use a paperclip.
    The engine check light should start to flash. The flashing will indicate any error codes that are present in the ECU (the ECU holds the codes from the last 50 starts).
  • Turn off ignition.
The ECU has now been reset.

Error codes.
(long flash = first digit, short flash = second digit)

11 - Crankshaft position sensor
12 - MAF sensor circuit (air flow meter)
13 - Coolant temperature circuit
14 - Vehicle speed sensor circuit
21 - Ignition circuit
31 - ECU
34 - Knock sensor
43 - Throttle position circuit
45 - Injector leak
51 - Ignition circuit
54 - Auto signal to ECU
55 - All OK

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ecu rest

Well I just had to have a go at this and get something sorted as this seems to be asked several times a week. Feel free to correct/add to THIS SUBJECT so that we get a definitive answer. I'll incorparate any suggestions so we end up with one sticky post.

This works on R32/R33 (it it the same on R34??)
  • Warm engine and switch off with wheels pointing straight ahead.
  • Turn on ignition but don't start the engine.
  • Bridge the two pins in the diagnostic connector for two seconds (see image below). I use a paperclip.
    The engine check light should start to flash. The flashing will indicate any error codes that are present in the ECU (the ECU holds the codes from the last 50 starts).
  • Turn off ignition.
The ECU has now been reset.

Error codes.
(long flash = first digit, short flash = second digit)

11 - Crankshaft position sensor
12 - MAF sensor circuit (air flow meter)
13 - Coolant temperature circuit
14 - Vehicle speed sensor circuit
21 - Ignition circuit
31 - ECU
34 - Knock sensor
43 - Throttle position circuit
45 - Injector leak
51 - Ignition circuit
54 - Auto signal to ECU
55 - All OK
the paper clip test does not rest the ecu, just the easy way to read the codes. much easier than taking the ecu out and counting the led, some ecu's dont have the led on the ecu so the paper clip is 1 way of reading the codes.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the paper clip test does not rest the ecu, just the easy way to read the codes. much easier than taking the ecu out and counting the led, some ecu's dont have the led on the ecu so the paper clip is 1 way of reading the codes.
What he said, you should have named this thread how to read fault codes and clear them.

This isn't an ECU reset unless you add disconnecting the battery, stamping on the pedal a few times to get rid of excess charge in the system, waiting and reconnecting the battery, therefore resetting the ECU :)

·
Lush The Bum Off It!!
141 Posts
so basically to reset the ecu i do this...

dis connect the battery Completly, both clips!
then pump WHICH pedal??

then reconnect the battery and start as normal???

ne1 enlighten me to the proper way??

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
so basically to reset the ecu i do this...

dis connect the battery Completly, both clips!
then pump WHICH pedal??

then reconnect the battery and start as normal???

ne1 enlighten me to the proper way??
Just remove battery lead and press the brake pedal a thew times to drain any power, or wait 5mins or so then reconnect the battery. Note.. make sure the wheels are straight as it can confuse the hicas system. Some people may do it slightly different but this worked for me.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
all you do is disconnect the battery, you dont need to pump any pedals, thats all horse sh1t, as if the circuit is incomplete that is that!!

Leave it disconnected an hour, to let the capacitors in the cicuit discharge naturally, reconnect and drive as usual, it then sorts itself out of the next few days, purely due to it being a closed loop system

·
Registered
4 Posts
this thread alone fixed my r33 .bridged pins, had error 13, changed ECTsensor , cleared error codes with 2sec bridging of pins, ecu code 55 after that :) yay all fixed.
thanks so much original poster.

*edit* i know its an old thread but photo was invaluable !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts