Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started using this site, but from the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be a "How-To" section. I might have over looked it (if so, could someone show me where it's at), but I know a lot of people do their own work. I think it would be very helpful if people that do their own work take pictures and share their process and mishaps with everyone in a Section dedicated to instructions on doing certain jobs. i.e. - Installing your own cold air intake, installing speakers, tail lights, headlights, etc.

What does everyone else think?

Mark

·
Yahoo MOFO!!
294 Posts
This has hit a bug-bear that i've had since day 1. Every other forum i belong to either past or present has had this feature and is exceptionally useful and is a key factor in saving other members wallets being dented by having work done and paying for it, when in reality the job is simple enough to do themselves if they are willing to put the work/time in.

Good call! you have my vote :dogpile:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
good idea

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Right I've created a first pdf nothing in it at the moment... just an idea of what it will look like.

I've called the whole process the "Skyline Owners Tutorial Program"

each document is numbered

SOTP1
SOTP2
etc

A document datbase should be created with latest revisions, but as we dont need to be that anal

The list would need to be kept up to date

SOTP1-Coil_Pack_Refurbish_and_Testing.pdf Rev 0.0.1 Date 9/2/2007
SOTP2-Blah_Blah_Blah.pdf Rev 0.0.1 Date 9/2/2007
etc

Hopefully I've attached the first doc which is only a general outline

Ok didnt upload. I'll host it and see if that helps

hosted

http://premium1.uploadit.org/StusyUK/skyline/SOTP1-Coil_Pack_Refurbish_and_Testing.pdf

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
OK I've just started the "conditions of use" which will be added to the bottom of every tutorial/guide. It basically a use at own risk. Does this sound OK:-

This tutorial is written as is. It is from a personal point of view with knowledge pooled from various sources. Use of this tutorial is at the users own risk. Please check correct versions, revision and tools as required. We take no responsibility for miss-use or damaged caused by this tutorial. It is only essentially a guide and should be treated as such. Please take care when using tools and practises suggested within this guide, always consult the manufactures manual where possible. Always use the correct clothing and protective gear where appropriate.

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
OK I've just started the "conditions of use" which will be added to the bottom of every tutorial/guide. It basically a use at own risk. Does this sound OK:-

This tutorial is written as is. It is from a personal point of view with knowledge pooled from various sources. Use of this tutorial is at the users own risk. Please check correct versions, revision and tools as required. We take no responsibility for miss-use or damaged caused by this tutorial. It is only essentially a guide and should be treated as such. Please take care when using tools and practises suggested within this guide, always consult the manufactures manual where possible. Always use the correct clothing and protective gear where appropriate.

:feedback:

Do you think its ok?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That's perfect. That's all the section should be: follow the how-to's at your own risk. If someone doesn't feel comfortable doing stuff themselves, they should either have it done professionally, or follow the manufacturers manual. It's perfect. It'll be no one else's fault besides the person doing the work if something were to go wrong or break.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
good stuff stusy.....we are in the process of sorting out a lot more basic "how too's" sticky threads, it gonna take a few weeks so with yr ideas and anyone who has some good input on this we can have a section devoted to all techy info........we can talk about this tomorrow mate at the meet, as its a vital part of our forum.........thanks guys for yr valuable and essential input............:rofl:

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Changed it a bit:-

This tutorial is written as is. It is from a personal point of view with knowledge pooled from various sources. Use of this tutorial is at the users own risk. We take no responsibility for miss-use or damaged caused by this tutorial. It is only essentially a guide and should be treated as such. Please check correct versions, revision and tools as required. Please take care when using tools and practices suggested within this guide, always consult the manufactures manual where possible. Always use the correct clothing and protective gear where appropriate. If you are unsure about any part of this tutorial consult or even ask a professional to carry out the required work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How-To install Front Speakers on R33 Skyline.

I just installed my front speakers today and thought I'd show my version of a How-To. If the mods would like to keep it as a start or as a sticky, it would be fine with me.

Alright, for the Driver Door:

There's one screw in the door panel where you grab it to close it:

And Three screws at the bottom of the door panel:

Lightly pull at the sides to unsnap the plastic clips. You should be able to pull it up and out. A problem that I ran into and was able to get through it unscathed was that the actual grab handle (viewed from the inside of the panel)

sat inside of this bracket attached to the actual door:

What I did was while trying to lift the door panel up and out, I pulled on the grab handle to try and get it out of the bracket. It worked. Later I just removed the entire piece and reinstalled it after the panel was on.

At this point your door should look like this:

I didn't get the rest of the screws that hold the speaker bracket on, but there are four that hold it in place. The four that you see here, hold the speaker in the bracket.

Remove the speaker and install your aftermarket one. I had to cut these aligning studs off. (Sorry for the blurriness)

Here is my 6.5" Kenwood 1690ie in the bracket. Slipped right in.

Then just reverse the process of removing the door panel.

As far as the Passenger door:
Here are the screw locations on this door panel:

After removing the screws, actually removing the panel is the same as the driver side with the exceptiong of the "cup grab handle". That piece actually comes out as opposed to sitting in a bracket.

As far as the wiring, I crimped my own terminals to the stock wiring because the wiring that came with the speakers were the same size as the stock wires. In case you get confused as to which wire is positive, the actual plug has a + and - sign on it.

On both speakers, I surrounded the speakers with some deadening tape to keep the sound/air going where it's supposed to. It's not completey deadened though. To completely deaden the door, you will need to get some deadening sheets and cover all the holes on the door. I chose not to do that in case I need to change the window regulator or glass at some point.

All in all, the installation went pretty well. Took me a good two and a half hours since I was going slow so that I won't break anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
how to spot fakes would be good

im sure there are peeps on here that have the genuine article for bodykits etc

it would be handy if you could post the makers mark up and location etc

·
bla
17,374 Posts
A How to section would be great for all those begginers.........

How to fit an uprated fuel pump, change studs, manifold gaskets, etc etc.... Would make this site even better!!!!

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Looks like I'll be presonally doing the coilpack refurb and testing, as on saturday it just started to hesitate between 4500-5000 rpm..

Bought a nice new camera and going to borrow the calibrated muti-meter from work so I can get acurate readings from the packs ;)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
I had this problem mate, and i got a diagnostics done... Its the knock senser...

But there is 2 , one on the front and one on the back. They cost £156+vat each.......... thats expensive... Got to see which one is playing up.

Im going to check the wiring before i dish out some dough.. expensive but i still love her, lol.....

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Be careful. Your disclaimer won't stop the forum admin from being legally liable if someone f**ks their car up as a result of following a guide which contains incorrect information.

I would put a warning in the forum rules to users who intend to post such info that THEY have a duty to ensure their info is correct before posting.

The disclaimer also has a few spelling errors which could do with being ironed out if it is to be a legal disclaimer for the site.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts