Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posibly to be made sticky?

Another easy one this, in hindsight.....

The coil packs even when the insulation starts breaking down still produce enough spark power, just that it 'leaks' out to the nearest ground rather than sparking in the combustion chamber (path of least resistance), that being tha aluminimum coil-pack holders/rails.

I have jus made a new coil-pack rails from Delrin (purchased from ebay), It's a bit fiddly but I made 2x new rails with basic DIY tools. Delrin is stable a type of Nylon I think.

DO NOT add any tape or anything to the coil-packs, maybe just clean them in solvent or petrol.
To remove all easy routes to ground for the spark 'leaks' I used cable-ties to secure the coil-packs to the delrin rails, 4 for each coil, rather than metal screws.
This has 100% cured the car I was working on. Thats less than £20.00 for 100% fix.
Go ahead, try it, easy as that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
just out of interest, what made you go for derlin?

gonna take my alu one out this weekend and do a drawing, then machine up some derlin, might go a bit more into it with some threads instead of zippy ties

·
Sits at home thinking am I normal ???????
853 Posts
Yellow jacket coil are pants !!! And nice one for the quick fix but you may have fixed it now but it will come back as this is what I did on my gts so I tried rsp coils, I paid £200 delivered and they where spot on, just when it come to the running side of the car and your giving it the beans you will want to know it running spot on because if it not them you will have a big bill and no one likes that !! That's just my thought on it.

·
12,294 Posts
Good work Andy, though I was under the impression that more often than not it was the plug bit that leaked, hence people putting tape around them so it wouldn't ark onto the spark plug hole? What you've done also makes sense though, so if anyone does have issues it couldn't hurt to do both.

Can I make a suggestion though? Instead of cable ties, what about using plastic licence plate screws instead? Or are they likely to melt over time with the heat?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use whatever fixing you like, trust me cable ties work 100%, I used the biggest that would go through the holes, less of anything appart from air around the coils is best.
Remember the coils 'want' to fit, your almost only needing to balance them!
Please post your results, I'm confident.

·
North West Member
1,434 Posts
Interesting this Andy, so what about placing fibre/rubber washers between the original aluminium coil-pack holder/rail and head (where the 7 bolts bolt it on) and between the bolt heads and rail to break the earth between the bolts the head and the rail, do you think that could work?

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
Top work Andy! ! !

Another useful bit of information :)

Interesting this Andy, so what about placing fibre/rubber washers between the original aluminium coil-pack holder/rail and head (where the 7 bolts bolt it on) and between the bolt heads and rail to break the earth between the bolts the head and the rail, do you think that could work?
That's a good idea, some nice thick delrin / nylon washers for the coils. To help resolve the problem of breakdown splitfire do an earthing kit for their coilpacks also, I just made a home made earthing kit and attached one earth to the back of the ali mounting bracket near the bulkhead.

I also run yellow jackets, and a new larger capacity battery and since installing this set up, no failed coils or miss fires.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IF you could insulate it enough it might be worth a go, however....
It didn't take long to make up the delrin plates, I din't cut them out having side-rails like OEM I made a 'set' of spacers with the 4 coil bolt holes in, appart from the end 2, it took less than 2 hours start to finish, and 100% fixed AndyB's ex car.
You see I was selling it, I needed all the cash back I'd put in, and no-way was I buying a £300.00 set of coils, NO WAY.
So for the 1st time I did this, been thinking on it for ages, (but 4 years ago when mine started leaking I was in a rush and just brought splitfires, and hey it was for me!), I had a feeling it would work as I'd pulsed up a full set of coils on the bench and could see the leaking/arcing/sparking to the 'rail', and the 'energy' just wants to get to ground via the easiest route, with delrin insulators that route is always via the spark-plug.

·
North West Member
1,434 Posts
Sounds perfectly logical Andy, before i get some new coils next week i'm gonna play around with some insulating idea's from the idea's your post has give me and let ya know my results. :)

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
worth a try, sound logical too!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
good thinking fella :D Mine were already insulation taped when I removed them after having miss fires. Didn't think much about it at the time, but will save a few a fair few quid.

·
seeking to be one of thee top DE+t conversions
1,523 Posts
will give this ago but couldnt you just earth all the coils properly with a grounding kit???

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
missing the point i think

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Use whatever fixing you like, trust me cable ties work 100%, I used the biggest that would go through the holes, less of anything appart from air around the coils is best.
Remember the coils 'want' to fit, your almost only needing to balance them!
Please post your results, I'm confident.
hi Andy
I've been having ongoing misfire issues now and cannot seem to get past them - niz mentioned this might be the way fwd for me and for 20quid worth of delrin i'm prepared to give it a go.

is there a chance you could post up some pics please of your own rails? I'm interested in seeing how you made yours up?

Also would you be able to post an ebay link? The only ones i could find were shipping delrin from the USA strangely :/

really hope this works now - i've had yellowjackets on, then switched to splitfires.. then tried all manner of heat range plugs - copper 7's ...iridium 7's ...copper 8's regapped... iridium 8's and none of it is curing the problem :(

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts

Attachments

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
I mounted the rails into the car and then dropped the coils in, once the coils were in I used a 1/8 drill bit to pilot the ACETAL C in the middle of the coilpack mounting hole, then some pozi-screw self tappers just tight enough to hold the coilpack in place in opposite corners.

Like I said, for me it's worked a treat and these are iridium 8's that were pre-gapped to 0.8mm.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts