Skyline Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Does anyone have the size in inches?

i got .5" x 12" x 4" when converted.
You'l have plenty with those measurements. Mine come out at 305x42x12mm at their longest. one is slightly longer then the other. I'll be getting mine finished next week hopefully. Ended up 3D modelling a set and I will be milling them soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah looks like a regular dreme or grinding machine won't cut it...at least it's difficult to. I've drawn an outline already, I just need someone to cut them.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yujp got them. Mail came in today.

Does anyone know the drill bit size for bolt the 12mm and the 8mm ones ?
The big holes are 8.5mm (M8 clearance) and the small holes are M4 threaded.

I should be getting a set machined by next week.
As for taking 2 minutes for a mint finish I don't think so!
It'll take about 20mins to program and then you've got an Op on Borge sides to clean the edges/ take the back off (depending on material thickness). I've got a 3D model in Solidworks and a program on our MiniMill. Just a matter of cutting a bit of material and finding a spare hour in the week.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No honest mate won't take 2 mins, use a ripper counter, run about 1600rpm with high feed the higher the better, and plunge it. You shouldn't climb mill as it will chip due to the property of the material. I machine this all the time on a big turn mill, It's a very simple shape to do, probably better to write free hand then to cadcam.

Ian

Tapatalk - S3 rooted

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
No honest mate won't take 2 mins, use a ripper counter, run about 1600rpm with high feed the higher the better, and plunge it. You shouldn't climb mill as it will chip due to the property of the material. I machine this all the time on a big turn mill, It's a very simple shape to do, probably better to write free hand then to cadcam.

Ian

Tapatalk - S3 rooted
Its the profile around the edge that is the tricky bit. The holes and pockets are pretty quick although with tapping and tool changes your looking at 6 minutes I reckon. Plus the way I plan to do it ill need to remove the material from the back so that'll be another couple of minutes facing off the top. I programmed it by hand ages ago on our XYZ but I managed to get a copy of Solidworks 2013 so I thought I'd model it on there too. Added some engraving and chamfered all the edges both sides. Just practise on the program really but nice to have something useful at the end of it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You will be able to cut it fine mate. If you have a jigsaw then drill a hole in each corner of the large square spaces and join the dots with that. Easy enough really. Use your old coilpack rails as a template for the 8.5mm holes. Bolt them on and then fit your coilpacks to them to line them up. Drill a hole in opposit corners of each one and attach with a self tapping screw. It's all on this thread. Page1 and 2.
I've got the facilities to make a professional quality product so that's why I'm doing it with CNC.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am making mine like the guy that did it on page 4.

making them in set of six seems easier. I'll making holes tonight.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Just to bring this - the important bit back to the top.

The important bit back to the top. How come the photo's didn't follow as well? 3rd post on page 4 is what you need!

THIS THREAD IS NOT about wrapping your coils, that was the 'other' old way, this is conceptually different.
IMHO DO NOT wrap your coils at all.
Ok moving on I just made a nylon, Delrin, Acetal coil 'rail' for my present car, here are the details-ish - always use common sense when reading/doing anything I write about!
Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380429433178?var=650043802553&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300592325298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I purchased these 2 items (12mm acetal is the right thickness!!) and made these, pics:-
Now I didn't make side-rails as the metal laminate that goes around the coils is stronger than the acetal so I deemed them redundant - a lot of work for feck all.
I made them in a complete set of 6 - not in 2 halfs. Also there was a little shaping after this to make them clear some ally for rocker-cover bolts, just a quick whiz on the bench grinder.
Less than £20 notes and I can, and am running 1.1mm gapped iridiums and no missfire now or ever, and the bigger spark is better if you have the power - which you will have.
DONE.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just thought I'd post up my effort at making these. Started almost 9 months ago and finally found some time to finish these off. Apologies for the colour of the fleece on which they're laying. It was the best light and I wanted contrast so you could see the outline properly.
Anyway here they are!

I've put them next to the OEM parts for reference.
I may be able to knock up a batch of these if there is enough interest but I'll have to petition for a trader status. Let me know what you guys think as they are still in the prototype stage until tested.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts