Skyline Owners Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great idea. I made my own per the original post. Didn't cure the problem, but a new set of second hand coil packs sorted it out. However the replacements also had the insulating material missing where they would have contacted the rails so pleased I had done this first. This forum is brilliant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If ever there was a post worthy of a bump it's this one.

My long running misfire is now sorted. Big thanks to Andy, definately owe you a beer of 2 :40oz:

Seems so obvious now with all the paint flaking off the coils that they were earthing to the block. If anyone is suffering a difficult to trace misfire then they should try this, it's cheap and fairly simple to make up. If I can do it blah blah...

Forget insulating tape or all the other so called fixes, the tracking occours in the coilpack mounting holes and passes through the 2 coilpack screws onto the ally rail, then onto the head. The only practical way to isolate the coilpacks from the engine block is to replace the ally rails with plastic ones.

Again, big thanks to Andy for the how-to.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Take out your coilpacks dip them in petrol use a bic lighter to burn them down. Use an external coilpack away from engine and connect your spark plugs to them. Job done.

Falah Khalid

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Take out your coilpacks dip them in petrol use a bic lighter to burn them down. Use an external coilpack away from engine and connect your spark plugs to them. Job done.

Falah Khalid
At what cost? It won't be a cheap fix which is what this thread is about.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Drag guys some of the best of them atleast with 2jzs and rb26s just go with ones that come for chevy trucks. Tuner parts for chevy trucks are also quite cheap now i dont have a quote but its as ridiculously cheap as tuning a honda. And easily available. Look around or ask someone.

Falah Khalid

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Drag guys some of the best of them atleast with 2jzs and rb26s just go with ones that come for chevy trucks. Tuner parts for chevy trucks are also quite cheap now i dont have a quote but its as ridiculously cheap as tuning a honda. And easily available. Look around or ask someone.

Falah Khalid
LS1 coils. Not new information. They still cost more when you include the HT leads and mountings. New mountings for the regular coils is far cheaper.

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
Ant it's a thermo-plastic and safe upto 375F not being funny, but the coil packs would melt long before the rail lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
Saw this and thought of doing the mod as my previous Skyline had the coil spark leak issue (solved it on that one by going to a wasted spark setup). However my new one has a Neo RB and the coil mounts directly to the head. Has anyone come up with a similar solution for them? I'm tempted to measure the coil boot and see if it's shorter than the non-neo and can be swapped, but the issue would be that the mount bolts would still attach the coil to the head.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts