Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started the car up yesterday been 4-5 months since it was running took ages for the oil light to go out and reg oil pressure ,a good 30+seconds after start up ,i did turn it over for a good minute before i put the fuel fuse back it to get a bit up round the engine ,to me i think i need a new pump theres good oil pressure on it though just below the 8 on cold idle and below the 4 on hot idle what you guys think

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
If you've got good pressure on idle and when driving then I'd suggest that the pump is fine. Get an oil and filter change done to see if it helps.
Does it take 30 seconds to get pressure every time you start it, or was it just that first time?
What grade of oil have you got in at the moment?

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
Oil pumps seldom show signs of wear by dropping pressure (unless seriously worn)
don't forget if you haven't run it for some time all of the oil will have dropped out of the pump and pick up tube, meaning that it will have to re prime the whole system, and an unnecessarily thick grade of oil like 10W50/60 wont help.

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
Good oil and free change with 5w40 or similar. From what is sounds the pressure seem fine. Try this first take it for a warm up drive let it cool right down and try again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im running 10w 50 vavoline oil its been a while but it done this near every time i start it if left for over a week or so as its a weekend car for me

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Change your oil and filter, I bet you a pound the filter hasn't been changed in ages and will be really heavy when you take it off with all the crap that's built up in it. If that doesn't cure it have you fitted an oil filter relocation kit? Are you sure you're using the correct filter?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
I have both my R34s sitting for the whole winter every year without starting them. After the winter I pull the CAS coupler and crank it to get some oil moved around the engine. Then reconnect the CAS and start it. After starting it the oil pressure light goes off immediately or after 2-3secs at the max. Never took any longer than that. That was with RB25, RB26 and RB30. Also with different oil pumps, restictors, filters, cooler kits and grade of oil.

So yours taking 30+ secs defo is not good. Thing is, you need to check if it really takes that long to build up enough pressure or if the oil pressure sensor is faulty somehow which is quite a common issue, especially with RB26 engines.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it more worth while to fit an aftermarket oil pressure gauge than going off factory setup? Also im new to RB's what oil is recommended as id be using mobil1 or Fuch's 10/60 motorsport (only occasional driving will be done)

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Aftermarket oil pressure gauge is a must!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah alot of ppl dont rate the oem oil pressure gauge.. basically it tells you if the car is putting oil round the engine or if its flatlined then stop the car asap tbh. its pretty boolean in its operation.

5w/40 is fine
Anything in particular semi or full synt?

Aftermarket oil pressure gauge is a must!
Perfect thanks for that

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Always fully synth mate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
running a full stage 1 setup bar the turbo ive always run it on this oil without problem ,ive a heavy right foot too lol , i done a debs run in the car in september i changed the oil and filter then before the run it was a total of 200 miles round trip on the oil ,its still got its golden colour on the dipstick ,il fit a aftermarket gauge on it first and see .

ive no problem using a lower grade of oil bit is 5w 40 very watery i used to put this into my old M3 i always thought it was very light

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
ive no problem using a lower grade of oil bit is 5w 40 very watery i used to put this into my old M3 i always thought it was very light

A lower hot viscosity does not denote a lower grade of oil, the viscosity of the original oil was 5W30 and was speced that way for the running clearances and RPM of the engine, all running a thicker oil will do is increase the shear factor and cause more drag and increase the oil pressure slightly, if you have a well worn engine its a common dodge to run higher viscosity oil, but not necessary for a good or modded engine where the clearances are good,
IMO there is nothing wrong with going for one grade thicker, but to go two or three:shakehead:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aw no problem theres me thinking i was doing good il drop the oil outta it and go lower ,
my engine is in good health i replaced three cracked pistons and put new rings on ,steel headgasket,acl race bearings last year and its done less than 1000 miles in last 2 years ,il get to the bottom of this oil pressure thing first as i dont want to undoo the work that was done ,

thanks guys for the feedback on this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts