Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R33 GTST Owner.
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been reading up quite a bit and i can see alot of engine rebuilds being done, are they that unreliable in standard form if kept with standard boost?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
no there just happens to be a lot of highly tuned cars on here,standardish ones dont seem to go wrong

·
Registered
441 Posts
tell that to my gearbox that's just spat 5th out ;)

they're really not unreliable though, you just need to buy a good one to start with

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
would be extremely reliable in standard form, in fact as long as they're looked after properly they should live up to their reputation.

People start trying to map their cars themselves, scrimping on oil & plug changes and a hard life in Japan is what the problem is...

·
manual convert
583 Posts
might only be stage 1 tuning, but no problems in 18 months of daily driving, once to shakespeare county,and a very heavy right foot. :eek: that,s tempting fate (touch wood, fingers x)

·
R33 GTST Owner.
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
might only be stage 1 tuning, but no problems in 18 months of daily driving, once to shakespeare county,and a very heavy right foot. :eek: that,s tempting fate (touch wood, fingers x)
Thats what i want to hear :cheers:

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
Personal opinion is they are "average" in terms of reliability. They do have their own collection of common faults as do most other cars,...

A standard gtr/gtst was only ever really designed to be reliable as a motorway muncher, a grand tourer. They respond to performance modifications well, but as with any modified car, the performance you demand, the faster the car will wear.

The most annoying common fault of the GTS is the exhaust manifold warping and snapping studs and then blowing. But even that isnt THAT bad and wont stop it from driving etc.

2nd most common fault is the coilpacks becoming crispy fried coilpacks and needing replacement.

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
I think Honda were voted the most reliable cars, i think in standard form the gts-t will run forever if looked after

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had my skyline for nearlly a year with No probs at all (driven daily) i did pick a minter from a company called AutoBMC.

Also had a honda prelude which i spent about £2000 just keeping the dam thing on the road(Had done ova 100k on the clock).

J

·
Registered
222 Posts
Only had it a year, but no quibbles and used as a daily driver. Also have Honda Accord, 4 years old but had to replace bottom end (under warranty after 24K). Which would you rather have?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts