Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as the title says, i'm bored of the MR2, and its a little cramped for me. Had a Scooby before so the next one to have has got to be a Skyline, right? Always fancied a Gts-T anyways, but always bought something else first.

Has anybody else made the same move, and do you all think the Skyline will be a better drive than the MR2?

Going to have a scan around the forum now and see what i can find out anyways.

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
Hello mate and welcome! i can honestly say that once you drive one you will buy one.....i had a Fto before my gts-t and loved it! but nothing compares to the smile i get when im driving the Skyline....

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I totally agree.

I had a toyota GT4 and that got me hooked on turbo cars upto getting my skylark.

Mr2 turbo's have plastic cranks too:bounce:

SKYLINE - you know it makes sence:notworthy

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Be a great move mate.........

Youll have some fun, but take it easy at first ;)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice!

Took my car to its 1st track day at curborough a couple of months ago (sprint track)

And when it did get out shape it was damn site more controlable than any other car ive driven.

It made me look like a good driver LOL.
But that was in the dry :D
Inthe wet it'll BITE:nutkick:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Hi all, as the title says, i'm bored of the MR2, and its a little cramped for me. Had a Scooby before so the next one to have has got to be a Skyline, right? Always fancied a Gts-T anyways, but always bought something else first.

Has anybody else made the same move, and do you all think the Skyline will be a better drive than the MR2?

Going to have a scan around the forum now and see what i can find out anyways.
The mr2 will be a completly diferent drive from the skyline. An mr2 is a small fairly light 2 seater and the skyline is a big heavy coupe. I went from an mr2 to a scooby then to my current gtst and i have to say i miss the mr2 alot, it was definatly more fun than the skyline but it didn't have the road presance. Everyone looks at you in a skyline.:smoker:
Get some pics of the mr2 up, would love to see what yours looks like.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers everybody. The MR2 is good like, 260bhp and its nice enough. Keeps me on me toes in the wet too, but just always fancied a Skyline, and now i have my heart set on one again.

Here's some pics anyways...got clear front lights now and a 'smaller' number plate:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry forgot to add.....does the Gts-T come with a LSD as standard or was it an option?

Cheers, Gav

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Pretty sure it was standard. Nice looking mr2, i love the toms scoop i used to have one on mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i had a 300hp mr2 rev3 turbo for 7 years and it isnt even compareable to a nice skyline GTS - much better car in every aspect !

you wouldnt be dissapointed

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
better round corners
I disagree with this completely. I've got a rev3 MR2 here and unpredictable in the wet is an understatement! The Skyline can bite you in the wet if your not careful, but it's not unpredictable.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I disagree with this completely. I've got a rev3 MR2 here and unpredictable in the wet is an understatement! The Skyline can bite you in the wet if your not careful, but it's not unpredictable.
No you haven't you have a rev 1 mark 2:sorry: Mine was about 300 horses and in the wet you couldn't accelerate without the back stepping out buti found it very easy to control when sliding round corners.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
No you haven't you have a rev 1 mark 2:sorry: Mine was about 300 horses and in the wet you couldn't accelerate without the back stepping out buti found it very easy to control when sliding round corners.
Your quite right Dave, but it is her car so I don't really care :D

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
i get the back of the MR2 out all the time...very controllable, if yours is different i suggest you change your tyres (made a really big difference to ours)

but then i dont see what "controllable" has to do with it...i said "better" which you can take as "faster" but then being a mid engine lighter car you wouldnt expect any different lol

straight line the MR2 would kill a stockish skyline hands down

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I find the MR2 controllable, just unpredictable. Could just be because I'm used to HICAS now, I found that unusual when I started with it because it took a percentage of control away from me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
MR2's are NOT as controllable compared to most other RWD drive jap cars when you get it sideways - that is why they are not good drift cars...

the mid engine layout has a tendancy to make the car swap ends far too quickly and it doesnt "step out" very controllably at all.

tbh MR2's are at there best with a good suspension setup for taking racing lines and maximising grip around a twisty racetrack, once the car starts to go sideways it does it too quickly due to the short wheelbase and lack of weight at the front end.

I definatly found mine to go around corners at a faster speed than my GTR on a tight windy track as it has more balance (only if setup properly) and is lighter.

P.S. As std the MR2 handles like **** - I am only talking about modified ones here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My one is brilliant in the dry like, but like you say, unpredictable(but fun) in the wet. Here's a pic i just took, needs polished though.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
well i find it very predictable and anyone who thinks it cant be done is welcome to come for a drive with me lol

maybe people are getting confused with controlling the back end of the car and drifting...they are two totally different things, i can get the back out on every slow corner i come to (im not going to get the back out at 60mph lol) but i have never once drifted either of my cars

1 - 20 of 29 Posts