Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but i need a quick answer, what is the best air filter to buy and how much???? and will i need to reset the ECU afterwards???
is it easy to fit myself????

scottie

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats superb Isaac, thanks for that ur a big help, do u know of a good dealer too, and what about the ECU

E

·
0 Posts
Yeh reset the ecu. Just disconnect the battery ,making sure front wheels are straight & no keys in ignition then press on the brake pedal for a minute or 2 to try & light the lights up. This will drain any elec out ( i normally turn the lights on too) & reset the ecu. If you warm the engine up 1st before disconnecting the battery when you reconnect the battery you can drive flat out straight away & get the ecu used to how you drive the car.

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this a good thing then eddie, what are the benefits of this???

sorry if this sounds stupid =(

E

·
0 Posts
This will explain it better than i can mate. I just copied the following from a page i`ll put in a link for you at the bottom of the page.............................

Reset the ECU back to the factory defaults

Try this one... Disconnect your battery and press the brake pedal. This will reset the ECU, and force it to re-learn.

Both a friend and I have done it to our GTS-t Skylines with good results. My friend reports a smoother drive, and more free revving. First impressions on my car were that it starts quicker (not that it ever cranked for more than a second or two), feels smoother in the low rev range, and seems to have a little more torque in low speed acceleration.

Just do it. If there is an essential Skyline tip then this is it.

When the ECU is reset, it makes it re-map the ignition. It uses the knock sensor to detect when the timing is too advanced and responds by retarding the timing.

I've attached a link to one of my dyno runs - the base run is in black, the first run after the reset is the red sawtooth, the second run after the reset is the green. The effect of the advance / retard is more pronounced at partial throttle rather than full throttle.

www.overflow.250x.com/_framed/250x/overflow/dynochartbig.jpg

The sawtooth shape is the ECU advancing the timing until detonation is detected, followed by the timing being retarded. Initially the ECU uses quite large adjustments in timing, over time the adjustments get progresivly smaller and smaller (eg the green plot)

One major advantage of resetting the ECU is that it will quickly adapt to local conditions eg fuel, especially if you have just put in some octane booster or got a tank of race fuel.

Look at this

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Scott, your in-box is full. Your car is real head turner, very nice!

Abbey Motorsport 01883 732331
Middlehurst Nissan 01744 26681

My W.O.N system was fitted by Sargeant's Performance Centre in Yeovil. Wicked stealth install.

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks vicky, really appreciated that!!!! and nice to meet u to, im getting on the phone right now to order myself and air filter!!!

scottie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts