Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys

past few years i been workin with a RB20DET...

HKS GT3010 ball bearing turbo internal wastegate with oe actuator
Greddy FMIC
2.5" IC piping
Custom Intake pipe
tial bov
ngk bkr7e spark plugs gapped at .40"
WALBRO 255 (added forgot i had)

not installed but planning on the install

Jun Style Side Inlet intake manifold w/ velocity stacks
Custom dual feed fuel rail with center dump
adjustable FPR
550cc evolution 8 low impedence injectors with conversion resistors

my electronics installed

APEX'i SAFC II
Greddy Profec B boost controller
wide band etc..

Not installed

HKS PFC FCON w/ GCC II (with map etc not hooked up but plug and play)

currently... runs 1 bar, and wide band at full boost is at 9.1-9.7 ish
stock injectors etc etc etc.

my questions..

1) are the low impedence injectors going to work with the resistors? whats the differance in getting a low vs high?

2)should i even upgrade my injectors? i figured with the new intake mani and the new fuel rail might as well right?

3)what can i do to bring the boost down????

4) should i install the pfc fcon? whats the gains and losses??

5) i need to install my intake manifold.. but im worried right now cuz its runnign super rich when at full boost. it feels really good, but the richness worries me. and i dont want that much boost.. is it a good idea to get all this stuff in order before i do the intake/fcon/ etc upgrade or should i just do it all then fix it from there...

i just want this thing back in order.. i stopped driving it. the richness worried me, i went thru a set of spark plugs and its alot of boost.. im hoping for 10-12... 1 bar would be cool if i can turn it on or off.. my boost controller i really dont get..

any help or opinion would be awesome..

and should i just take the **** out and new headgasket it while i do the intake install cuz its time for water pump and timing belt and i have all that i just havent done it and ive been debating the headgasket.. it barely has 26k's on it so i duno. i just like my motor tip top and i dont want to blow it.

and thats more of what im worried about..

thanks!:feedback::bigthumb:

·
RB-Ballerz Club
276 Posts
!-Go full stand alone this way you can manage the injectiors impedance and delete the safc etc..HKS Fcon vpro if theres a tuner near you.Other wise get one that someone can tune near by you.It save alot in the long run.(a good full stand alone unit)
2-Upgrading Injectors sometimes need fuel pump to back up the flow
3-adjust the electronic boost controller
4-No refer to 1
5-Theres no benefits in installing a Intake manifold unless Cams,headers(manifold) and port flow etc are added to the equation
Benefits are only top feed fuel intectors and fuel rail options
6-Get it tuned our reflash asap.
our adjust your FPR just until you can get it tuned

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my reason for the intake manifold was to run the fmic with shorter piping for a better spool.. and better fitting intercooler etc.. i planned cams but not for now.. for now i need to just get it going good and streetable..

also what should i do with the PFC fcon? someone told me it would be good for what i have, and yet i have no clue why i bout it.

theres a shop locally that offers reflash for fairly cheap.. hks tuners etc out here are either 1 to a town or i have to drive 6-700 miles to socal.

·
RB-Ballerz Club
276 Posts
oh so you already have the PFC fcon?Sounds like you need to research a little more and stop buying.
its doesn't mean that changing the intake is a bad idea tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it was a lonnnng time ago..

whats the differance? i read the hks website write up on it but it dont make sense to me.... would i be better off just getting rid of everything and going with a chipped tune? according to a friend at a local shop mattzzgarage, he can do a chip with tune etc on the stock ecu?? is this really possible? will it be what i need to get everything in good order? and adjustable for future mods? ie cams springs etc. ?

or should i break down and buy a power fc since its easier and it has the commander etc?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
you dont need head work to fit the inlet so dont listen to him

you dont have a hks pfc f con no such thing its a hks f con

yes you can map the oem 32 ecu so get a z32 afm, sell the hks fcon and save money that way.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
dont adjust your fpr

it will cause issues in one part of the rev range if you adjust it to sort another part out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im tellin you. i have a "PFC" FCON no joke i will post pictures of it

heres exactly what i have

and i have this GCC controller

and the harness was made by HKS of japan for RB20DET and has a MAP sensor.

plug and play.. and it ran with it.. VERY RICH THO.. so i disconnected it.. it ran better with the safc2 on stock ecu..

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
well thats a very very old one and im suprised they didnt get sued from apexi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol it was pretty old... the guy i bout it from was from BC canada.. he said he had it on his R32 forever and he crashed it.. i didnt get a chance to ask him what mods he had exactly.. i know he had a hks ball bearing turbo tho..

any one know anything about this PFC fcon? is it worth using if so wtf is it doing? especially with the map whats that about? im not really sure.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
all it is, is a piggy back ecu much like the newer ones they do

·
RB-Ballerz Club
276 Posts
Read it again
what I'm saying that upgrading an intake has no gains unless you have suport mods
I have built them stroke them
you name it
like I say read again
tuning rich is not a good thing
you need tuning
state your power goals which is the important thing here
mean time get a reflash
make sure your fpr is set for 35psi with vaccum

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
what I'm saying that upgrading an intake has no gains unless you have suport mods
make sure your fpr is set for 35psi with vaccum
he has not once said he aint getting the engine tuned

your so wrong on the intake side of things as with most things you put

you can fit a aftermarket intake without headwork or cams. look at the plazaman ones. you can gain around 20bhp just by fitting one.

if you knew how to build engines you would have known like i said before that you even fitted the worng size head gasket to your own car

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
oh and you dont set the fpr like you say either

its 3bar at idle with the vaccum hose off which works out at 43.5psi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was going to install the intake because its better then the stock ****. and my turbo will spool way fast if i eliminate the 10 feet of tubing to the intercooler. reducing it down to as short as i can.. even if it doesnt get me more HP my intercooler pipes will be shorter which in turn is BETTER.

cams are for later. this is now.

so should i run the fcon? or should i run the safc ? or should i flash? if i go flash do i need to take all my **** off or just leave the safc?

is the fcon reflashable? programmable? any more benefit since it has a map sensor etc?

any input.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Ive been along a similar route to what yopu want to take when I had my R33 gts-t.

started off with a safc2 then

emange blue piggy back ecu.

My advise is to sell that pfc thingy and buy a newer standalone ecu.

(If you can map your r32 ecu then do that, you shouldnt need a piggy back as well):dunno::dunno:

get ALL the parts you want to get fitted (cams at same time if possible) depending on your budget.

Take it to your mapper/tuner and do it properly.

This will save soooooooooooo much money in the long run.

been there, done that :funny::nutkick:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah i dont mind tuning it without cams etc. im just going to take the pfc out sell it. pay for the tune, and he said if i ever need a update i can get it redone for 150, so 300 total for a ecu tune is not bad, i figure im just gona keep the safc on there so i can fine tune it if need so.

i dont plan on doing cams etc, untill i order up everything, cams springs retainers, adj. cam gears, new valve seals, port and polish, arp head studs and a new head gasket.. and then who knows by then..

i wanna see results as is without all the bells and whistles, cuz if its plenty, id be happy. i mean the hks turbo alone made a world of differance and its not EVEN TUNED FOR IT! it just:mpee: richness 9.0 on the AR SMEELLLLSSS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
should i install the injectors ? or should i just install the dual feed and run a adjustable regulator? or should i leave the fuel system alone???

currently, stock

what i have is, 6x evo 8 low impedence injectors and i have converter resistors for them,

and i have a custom made, stock fuel rail, with an fittings on both sides (dual feed inlet) and a center dump

and i need to order a FRP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts