Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i decided to get her up on the ramps and see how the underside of the car was looking ....i had suspected a possible steering rack leak, but i now reckon its coming from the the rear seal on the front diff.

looking at the whole diff it would apear its case is a one peice withthe bottom of the engine. i know the sump has to come off as the front axel runs through it but how easy or hard is it to change this oil seal?

its the small clean area below the front coupling for the prop that gave it away as id perviously waxoiled this not long after getting the car.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone got some ideas? i hope this aint a huge bill...

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
hi mate, you gotta pull the drive shafts out, then re-install a new seal, its not too difficult, you need a 36mm socket to get the drive shaft out of the hub, the new seal is about £20 per seal per side, it should take about 1 1/2 hours per side mate...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
front diff oil leak

Very hard to make out the leak in the pictures.
is it coming from the flange from the prop going
into the diff ? if so i dont think it would be a big job

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the "housing" for the flange that the front of the prop mounts to. the is the bit i mean thats is driping .(id wiped it with my finger before taking the the pic

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bc, if i pull out the drive shafts ..can i get totheis seal internally? i would have thought the crown wheels and stuff would have to come out to get to this fromthe inside?

i was hoping i could drain the diff unbolt the front prop and fit a seal from the outside?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hesh if it is from the propshaft flange i would think
its a case of unbolting the prop, then removing the
flange and you should be able to change the oil seal
from the outside, fingers are crossed for you..

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lets hope.... im not sure if this is part of the pinion wheel oil seal wich might mean a rebuild ..

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Its not too bad a job to do. The easiest thing to do would be to read the instructions in the GTR workshop manual and decide if you want to have a go.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gtr workshop manual .. is there a download? if it can be done with out striping the diff id have a bash.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone got the gtr manual including the diffs? all i can find is the engine specs for the 32 gtr?

not sure if there were model changes ..mines an early 33 1994

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no CK it isnt that severe, couple of months running since diff refilled and the steering rack is covered in a nice mix of the underseal i put on and the oil from the diff.

im not going to mess about with it untill i have the specs and work shop info, as im not sure if the oil seal would effect the pinion preload and therefore give me a headache putting it all back together.

ive checked the breather onthe top of the diff and thats clear, so its not pressure thats forcing oil out.

ill just keep and eye on it. i assume the front diff oil is totally seperate tothe engine oil? the reason i ask is the 4wd is quoted inthe the manual as having 5.4 litres of engine oil campared tothe rwd's 4L?

There are seperate fill and drain plugs for the front diff so its unlikely they share oil but dunno till i get specs..

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks Richard

Thats what i thought, as id had a look around it, but my old man posed the question (retired fitter and can remember linked oil feed systems)

so if ican find the specs and maual for this ..and a new rear seal fot the diff,

erm ...wouldnt happen to have diff seals in stock would you Richard?

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
No in stock as we don`ty do many of them. Could get one in a few days for you if needed.

If you want us to get one PM us you chassis and model number so we can be sure to get the correct seal.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
cheers Keith

you have PM Richard.

That download is one ive tryed but cant find any diff info in it ..all engine.

edit : but only cos i didnt read it properly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts