Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well due to the snow n frost ma cars been in an icey state for 2 weeks now so today i went out and took the snow off it and managed to get the doors open. T
he battery was dead so its on to charge now, just wondering whats the best way to make sure the pipes dont have any ice in them so i can get it started n get sum heat in it. Its meant to be -20 up here on fri so i wld like it started b4 then to get rid of the ice n snow from it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish!! lol my garage is full of stuff prob cldnt get it in the garage anyway plus the fact that theres about 9 inch of hard ice and snow on the ground, would putting a space heater infront of the engine bay to blast sum warm air in be ok or wld i risk any damage?

·
Registered
238 Posts
mine was dead aint been started for 3 weeks, lashed the jump leads on and let it tick over for abit no problems, radiator pipes all ice free good job changed coolant before weather got bad :)

·
North highlands area rep
7,857 Posts
check the pipes that they arent frozen and start it up and let it idle and heat up naturally.you should always check the anti freeze before the winter sets in its better being safe than sorry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hi Alex, mine out in the cold as well so yours has company, both mine started fine on old jap batteries, get one of those little solar chargers for the window. 1 of mine had one when it came in from japan and it works a treat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
av bought one off ebay just waiting til the battery is charged fully then gonna hook it up. they look good, think im gonna get a few more for my other machinery

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my pals astras engine had no antifreeze and it lifted the head, ripped the core plugs out n cost him a fortune, thats why a was panicing about mine, got the space heated out today and let it run for an hour b4 i started it, old girl went a treat when i tried it

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
i think i would leave my rad cap of so there is somewhere for the ice to expand out of, might be toooooooooooooooooooooo late and caused some major damage now but lets hope its not,there should always be antifreeze in your car summer or winter its only the amount and kind you have in it that changes

·
Administrator
25,983 Posts
Im no mechanic but you better get that sorted soon mate the water expands when it turns to ice and you risk bursting pipes and all sorts.
too late as its already frozen.
alex im gonnae have to get a heater onto it and get it sorted asap, its -12 in glasgow tonite.....**** i should have put in antifreeze weeks ago.....
dont attempt to start it or you will destroy your water pump make sure its thawed out before you try to start it mate :)

my car is sitting under 4 inches of snow surrounded by 2 inches of ice not been started since dember 1st woo hoo :)

·
Seasoned Member
1,834 Posts
my pipes are frozen solid, and water is frozen in radiator too, heavy pissed i should have put in antifreeze in weeks ago.......
You're probably too late to save your engine mate.
With the water expanding when it freezes you might be lucky just to get away with only the core plugs popping out and saving your engine, otherwise it could be as bad as a cracked block and cylinder head.

Worked at Fords many years ago and had to tow in a Sierra that had no anti-freeze in it. Engine was ****ed! And that wasn't any where near as cold as it has been recently, so I don't hold out much hope for your enginge. Sorry mate:disappointed:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.