Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just a thought, but reading this post

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75853

i thought i could have done with one or two things from that site, wiring diagrams manuals etc....

now, i have no doubt that between all of us that we have every manual, wiring diagram, tips anyof us need know. The trouble is its either scattered amoungst 5 or 6 sites which you can never remember the name of, or they are now offline etc...

so!

what about a skylineowners.com FTP site where these manuals can live/reside as long as ? well pretty much forever.

I have no idea of the costs or scale just thinking aloud, i have tons of R32 manuals, wiring diagrams, oriiginal scans of the brouchre, Original Japanese TV Ads, factory blueprints etc...... same for the R33 & some R34 stuff

which i know trying to find now would just be hidious

Anyway worth a thought

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
must be honest, i have never noticed it lol.

i like the idea but that interface is a nightmare, just not user friendly enough.

I was meaning just a section/site that would only contain douments, manuals, copies of the original bumf, press realease's that people come across, proven fixs ie idle valve cleaning etc... sort of an unofficial library. if that makes sense

for videos now you tube & tons of others are about, theres not much you cant find

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep that would be ideal, imo FTP is much better than downloading from a website..For me its much quicker.

Running an FTP is easy, and the required disk space would be low..
I have run a few multi user sites before. Its just finding a nice server, or running it from a home server (slower) ..

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
copywrite may be an issue ....certainly with some of the info

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
copyright from nissan manuals ?

cant see the accessorie companies (apexi etc..) would have many if any issues its one of those grey areas, lol the only skyline service manuals i have seen are the pdf's so no idea if the were ever copywrited, even so theres plenty of open source, free material out thre now.

i think most of nissans service books would have been unused anyway i wouldnt trust any of the dealiships to empty the ashtray let alone have them armed with spanners pmsl, middlehurst excluded :dogpile:

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Yep that would be ideal, imo FTP is much better than downloading from a website..For me its much quicker.

Running an FTP is easy, and the required disk space would be low..
I have run a few multi user sites before. Its just finding a nice server, or running it from a home server (slower) ..

Yes, it's very easy..... and very insecure. No public FTP sites on this server thanks. Watch the bandwidth crawl to a halt, unless you are all willing to pay BigChief monthly subscriptions to use the site? :)

Find an FTP service and stick what you like on there, we will jsut link to it :cheers:

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is nothing fundamentally insecure about FTP, providing a decent server (pureftpd or proftpd are good) is used and properly set up. They also allow very good control over bandwidth, providing throttling and usage limiting and much more.

Probably not a good idea to run it on the same server as the rest of the site though :)

Interesting idea but maybe not ideal here.. :)

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
A public FTP is fundamentally Iinsecure as you has no control over who connects to it, or what is uploaded. We don't want to moderate each any every file uploaded. Having a system that uses username/password system has a lot of admin overhead, not to mention that user credentials will get passed around like chlamydia.

Opening another service will increase risk. Any FTP service whether vsftpd, proftpd etc, all have known/unknown security holes that might create a problem. In my mind, it's unnecessary risk.

Oh, one last thing. It will get used by 3 or 4 people and then die a death :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts