Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

For the fouth year in a row myself and several friends will be making the trip over to Germany to enjoy a few days at the ring later in 2010. I will of course be taking the Skyline as I always do but we need a second car that can be used as a bit of a ring slag without worrying if something goes wrong.

Last year between us we had the skyline, 2 x BMW E30 325i's a transit and two bikes (R1 and ZX12R). One of the BMW's didn't make the return journey due to one of the first timers having an urgument with a barrier so we scrapped it. It only owned us £800 so he paid us what it had cost and we said our goodbyes. The second BMW was sold in order to clear my mate's garage for a new project.

This year we will have the skyline which myself and my mate who sold it to me will drive, he is also trailoring his Z-cars mini which he is currently building (R1 engined probably) plus his brother may take his seven which he will also have to trailor.

So the questions....
- What cars would you recommend that would be cheap, fun and suited to the ring? The car would be used by everyone so that the nice cars are kept nice and everyone gets to enjoy the ring.
- We're thinking E30's may be a little on the older side now so perhaps an E36. But which one?
- Has anyone had E36's in the past with any good or bad storys about the engines, handlind etc... are some engines better than others regarding build quality or reliability?
- Any other car besides BMW's which would be cheap but good fun?

Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated. We could just go out and buy the first E36 328 we see and then learn all about it's problems the hard way. Therefore thought I'd ask first.

Thanks very much
Rik

·
Administrator
25,983 Posts
a golf gti mk2
a vw polo g40
a golf g60
just a couple :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
golfs suit it well mate of mine had mark 5 there two years ago and 135 beemer last year which was 3ltr twin turbo and the golf the year before was quicker

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Last yr my mate took a 325 e36. All he did to it was put some stiffer lowering springs on it, yellowstuff pads, new clutch, service and sticky tyres. It handled the thrash there, round the track and home with no problems...............Sold it when he came back and didn't loose any cash!

·
Pist'n'broke
1,014 Posts
+1, you seen how much you can pick an early one up for these days
Would be the last option I would take with all the bends on the ring and the massive issue scoobies have with oil starvation and botttom ends going unless you baffle sump it no thanks.

Ps I have one great car but drive it with a fear its gonna drop the bottom. lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last yr my mate took a 325 e36. All he did to it was put some stiffer lowering springs on it, yellowstuff pads, new clutch, service and sticky tyres. It handled the thrash there, round the track and home with no problems...............Sold it when he came back and didn't loose any cash!
Sounds exactly the same as what we'd do. Seems like a good option to me. Was he happy with the 325 power? Had he considered a 328?
I quite like the Golf option as well, both will be easy to get spares for as opposed to something Jap. Best start looking to see what's about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.