Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has always idled away happily at about 750ish rpm, or 900ish with the aircon on. But it's never been able to rev anywhere between idle and about 1200-1300.
What I mean is that even the slightest tweak of the throttle brings the revs up to 1200 say, which although isn't really much of a jump is enough to make you look like a proper trainee in slow traffic. It also drops down to idle when it gets down to 1200.
I've moved the throttle with my finger so I know it's not due to a heavy foot. :)

Does anyone elses find it impossible to hold revs between these sorts of numbers? Is the throttle position sensor slightly out of whack?

It's always done this I just never got round to asking :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I would have thought the Air Con was the same on the GTS as the GTR right? If so when I turn my aircon on the revs go up to 1200RPM, then after a second or so they drop back down to 1000RPM which is it's normal Idle speed. Then if I turn the Aircon off it falls to between 700 and 800 RPM then after a couple of seconds it rises to 1000 RPM again. As though the engine is compensating somehow for the aircon. Anyone else get this?

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
yep i get the same, revs move on idle with air con on, switch it of and its back ti 800ish

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
R32GTR , when you turn on the Air con the additional power taken to drive the aircon condenser needs to be conpensated for therefore the ECU has a separate mode to push up the revs, or you might find your car would stall a lot under load with the air con on at tickover and pull away.

On the lurching question maybe it is a sticky idle speed control value or solenoid / Air Flow Meter which may need cleaning at the first level.

Mine is as Buster has put quite sedate pulling away and not lurching at all.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've cleaned both the ICV and AFM. It pulls away fine but you know when you're in traffic crawling in 1st at idle revs and you just need to speed up very slightly - slightlest touch of throttle and it lurches a bit, same when backing off.

I'll get my meter on the TPS and check that first. Maybe it's just how it is.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Could just be your clutch? Do you know if you have an uprated one in there? Or when it was last replaced? Mine SOMETIMES jerks around a little on the clutch but I have other warning signs telling me it's ****ed too.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clutch is 32 GTR and is fine mate so we can discount that. As in the first post if I move the butterfly spindle with my finger it does it - it can't be made to rev between idle and 1200, either one or the other.

Haven't had the meter on it yet. I wonder if the screw on the ECU has anything to do with it? Isn't that for idle adjustment? When I first reset the ECU I cranked it round, reset it, then wound it all the way back... maybe that's not right. If only I knew about the bent wire trick back then :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Mine sometimes hovers around the 1000 - 1100 mark when i come to a standstill & drops down to 750 a couple of seconds after i`ve stopped.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine does at about 1200 Eddie. If I rev it it catches the needle at 1200 before returning to idle a second or two later.

Who's idea was it to put computers in cars... :rolleyes: :D

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I can't get any useful info out of the TPS. I had the dummy plug off and tried all combinations of the 3 pins. the first couple of mm of movement and the numbers did change but after that it was just zeros. Both Ohms and Volts. Perhaps that plug is not live?? It was cold and dark though.

The plug was removed to reveal the pins inside

E

·
0 Posts
Moschops said:
If I rev it it catches the needle at 1200 before returning to idle a second or two later.
Yup does exactly that too. But i dont get any difficulty driving round in traffic as you say you do.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Well Ive been reading this with some interest as my GTR seems to be suffering from this or something similar

when driving along you can idle or do 1200 - 1500rpm and naff all in the middle, most annoying on from a noise aspect as its none too quiet and more importantly on the kangarooing up the road between 20 and 35 looking like a cnut front

the GTS is peachy though

Pope :D

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
It bothers me enough to use the other one instead, I have no idea what is causing it but its not at the top of the list yet as I have to get some brakes as it dont stop and some lights so I can see where im going

Damn and there was i getting excited as i thought you had fixed or was well on the way to fixing it

:D

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
lol, Mine will get fixed but likely as not it will probably not be done by me. I draw the line at changing the disks, calipers and pads etc. Im interested to see what the outcome is

i got to put a new stereo in the 32 tomorrow, and try and relocate the aircon controls back where thy are supposed to be which will be interesting to say the least

I just need to find a set of 32gtr centre console dials now to replace the GReddy ones

1 - 20 of 22 Posts