Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 96 GTR and recently put upgraded twin turbos and had it tuned with Apexi FC and Greddy boost controller. When I got it home and went to drive the car, the idling problem showed up. Here is what it is doing:

When it first starts up, it idles fine.
When I rev it up past 2k rpm and let it come back to idle, it starts hunting for the idle between 500-900rpm for 10-20 seconds and then it idles smooth again.
I also noticed that when cruising it surges a bit but has no problem accelerating.

I have checked all vacuum hoses, cleaned the AAC, made sure the MAFs were ok and clean and have not found what is causing the issue.

Any ideas what to do next and look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
get the map checked and the the surgeing sounds like turbo shuffle

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
I was going to say get it mapped as well. As soon as [email protected] mapped my car, that idle hunting went away. It could be, also, your Idle Air Control Valve is just bad since you've already cleaned it.
too much of a coincidence that the problems have only happened after fitting turbos,boost controller and then a map

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys, I suspected the tune could be part of it. I also forgot to mention that after cleaning the AAC, it took less time to recover to normal idling, perhaps it is bad, I haven't been able to find the values in order to test the sensor and see if it's bad or not, anyone know off hand what it should read?

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
if it really was buggered then it would have showed the fault previously as well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I suspected the tune could be part of it. I also forgot to mention that after cleaning the AAC, it took less time to recover to normal idling, perhaps it is bad, I haven't been able to find the values in order to test the sensor and see if it's bad or not, anyone know off hand what it should read?
Mine was doing that before as well. I cleaned the AAC and mine also got better, but still did it on occasion, and when it did it it wasn't quite as bad. Ever since I got it mapped, it hasn't come back at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input, I will get the car tuned and mapped again and see if that solves the problem. I will post up the results when I have them.

Also, mine idles bad after every time it revs up, not once in a while if that means anything. When I unplugged the AAC while car was running it definitely changed but didn't fix the problem of course. And it runs very rich on the low end.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The other thing that comes to mind would be the fuel pump relay. There's 2 levels - 1st is for startup and low fueling (idling) and the 2nd is for when you're actively driving. It's a known issue that it can go bad. I grounded mine and bypassed the first setting when i was having idling issues when switching to a flex fuel sensor. No issues since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts