Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on my private test track earlier, i had a little toy with an e55 merc, not the new ones. we were doing about 40 then we let loose. I got away from him at first it seemed(2 car lengths) then he caught up, then he came back to just a car length away further down the track. havn't those things only got 350bhp?

my r32 has an abbey print out of 370 at the hubs, it seems to have been at just 1bar of boost. I think i'm running just over that now. I don't understand how that car gave me so much trouble.

my car is 2.5 litre with gt2835 turbo and lots of extras here and there.

I'm just wondering how it gave me so much trouble.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Weight?
Aerodynamics?
Transfer of bhp to the wheels?
Tyre pressures?
Driving ability?
Torque?
Gear ratios?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
and who says the merc's engine hasn't been played with

·
Wedding Photographer
3,419 Posts
i was on my private test track earlier, i had a little toy with an e55 merc, not the new ones. we were doing about 40 then we let loose. I got away from him at first it seemed(2 car lengths) then he caught up, then he came back to just a car length away further down the track. havn't those things only got 350bhp?

my r32 has an abbey print out of 370 at the hubs, it seems to have been at just 1bar of boost. I think i'm running just over that now. I don't understand how that car gave me so much trouble.

my car is 2.5 litre with gt2835 turbo and lots of extras here and there.

I'm just wondering how it gave me so much trouble.

Couple of things.......

How do you know the Merc was only standard spec??

I belive Abbey take there reading from the fly, not the wheels-At least thats what they told me.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
Couple of things.......

How do you know the Merc was only standard spec??

I belive Abbey take there reading from the fly, not the wheels-At least thats what they told me.

Abbey has a hub dyno

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I thought the E55 had the supercharged 5.5l engine?

That depending on variant is around the 500bhp mark. If so, you did well staying with it, they are very rapid indeed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Old shape E55 is indeed about 350 bhp,auto and heavy (still run high 13s 1/4 mile though) A genuine 370ath 2wd Skyline should be slightly quicker than the Merc

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers for the input lads, much appreciated.
previous owner seemed confident that the abbey reading was at hub and he said that they were reluctant to tell him how much it equates to at fly because it's just an estimate.

thing is, perhaps it was tinkered with right, but i did some research on chips and most forums etc say that the merc doesn't get much of a gain with a chip, so i really don't know. They certainly are getting to the age where people would start to experiment with them but who knows.
perhaps they are very torquey.

we didn't get going till i was way into 3rd gear, that's probably the mercs manor.

any idea what my liner should red line at because i seen it approach 8 and i shat myself. should it really go that far?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
those mercs come with a silly amount of torque,they are mega rapid once rolling,the e55 amg has got 700nm or something crazy like that

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right, considering i've not long bought the car, can we come to the conclusion that my skyline didn't do bad then?

·
Registered
828 Posts
No disrespect to stevolution as its a new car to him etc but maybe he has just answered part of the reason.
If he was changing gear at 8,000rpm he would have been well after his peak torque level so would have accelerated faster by changing gear by 6000rpm.
Plus as KOH has said the torque of a E55 v8 is nothing to be sniffed at.

Stevolution-if it where my car i wouldnt rev it over 7ish rpm wise as thats where the standard limiter should be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts