Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you may know that i was about tobuy a R32 GTS.but ended up with a saab 95 :S
i was looking at importing a R33 GTS from japan, is there any thing i should look out for ? and how hard is it obtaining a SVA document for it ?

any help is appreciated guys :)

thanks

phrozen

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have you found 1 yet...as I can help...I have brought in 5 cars so far..........I'm not a dealer just a man who knows how.......

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
I have bought in a crashed R33 GTS-T Type M....your better off going for a car over 10yrs old as you wont need to SVA the thing, just MOT it....lots cheaper! or go to the Motor Auction at Southampton Docks on a Monday as thats when they auction the jap imports...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys :) i think i found a car + shipping to the uk. Is it hard to get the car on the road after that process ?

thanks

phrozen

·
Registered
83 Posts
Would this be the place??

South Hants Car Auctions
1-3 Dragonair Estate
Fitzherbert Road
Farlington
Hampshire
01705 384122

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the car is still in japan and its through a japanese firm called "Japan Auto"
heres some info off the ad

"1995 Nissan Skyline, Manual 5 speed. HR33"

"The car is in Japan right now – price is including shipping charge’s to the UK port , Will arrange and registeration buyer)"

", Tires are in good condition, 2000cc, 76800 km which is about 48,000 miles‘ Has service history so give you mileage gurantee"

is the R33 available in 2 litre ?
i assume i would have to go and pick it up and make it road legal....how hard and how much would that cost ?

thanks again guys (and girls :))

phrozen

S

·
0 Posts
Hi Phrozen,

If this car you are looking at is a chassis prefix HR33, then it is a basic R33 skyline, non turbo. All Turbo GTS cars are ECR33 prefix.

If the car is under 10 years old, it will need a ESVA test by VOSA / Vehicle Inspectorate. This can be not only costly, and brain damage, but since the rule changes last year, personal imports have been almost put away for good as the stipulation and new rules are as follows:
To Import a personal imported car for a non Vat registered motor trader you have to prove ownership in the country of origin for a period of 12 months prior to importation.

If the car is over 10 years old it does not apply and only needs an MOT to register the car with DVLA.

Before buying any car from an internet jap company here's a good tip before parting with your dosh. Ask them to fax you a copy of the actual auction sheet showing and accident repairs, actual mileage, chassis no etc.

If they fax it, you know that the chance of it being a straight car is good, if they wont send it , dont buy it, they are hiding something.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stuart
skylines'r'us

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whoa....never heard about that one!! so i cant import the car personally ??? :S

are there any ways around this ? ....apart from buying a trade imported car here !

thanks guys!!

phrozen

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
speak to Dirk Diggler as he has some for sale or alternatively buy a car over 10yrs old....then its easier.

·
Registered
334 Posts
12 weeks on

and still havent got car on the road.
Make sure you get a good agent. I didnt. DOH!!!!:(

·
Sil80 Driver
2,313 Posts
Imported my car with help from a friend. Took a few weeks to get on road mainly due to late delivery of parts ordered from a UK company. SVA is bit of a game, there is nothing really that can go seriously wrong with a Skyline as far as I can see. Tyres could be a problem if they are not marked with load and speed ratings. I am sure if you ask someone nicely they will "sell" (loan for a day) you a set of wheels. Mine failed SVA on a few bits but the repairs to fix it cost me £25, an hour or so of my own labour and a couple of pints.

The best bit was drving along motorway to tests with no numberplates, talk about getting some weird looks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how on earth do i get it to pass the esva ?

is there a emissions test aswell ? because its got one of those drainpipe exhausts...:|

im thinkin of keeping it for a few months and then selling it to get a gtr or newer GTS.

how do i find out if its a good dealer ?

thanks loads guys!!!!!!

phrozen

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any tips on how i get the car in the country ? i have like..2days to buy it!

thanks a lot guys u been really helpful :) :) :)

phrozen

N

·
0 Posts
acually if you only have 2 day's 2 buy it , you wont be able 2 get the money there fast enough, takes 48 + hours by international money transfer

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys :)

so if i buy it...ship it to the uk......and prepare it for the esva test....will they tell me to go away because i havnt owned the car for 12months in japan ??

sorry for being MEGA slow !!

phrozen

N

·
0 Posts
no
thats bollox, as long as you pay import duty & vat , u can import what u like

1 - 20 of 30 Posts