Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right couple of questions guys.......

1. Dose any one know where i can get just the PC from (got a screen)

2. IF not then dose anyone know how hard this is to do myself... and is there any thing special i need?

cheers

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
hmmm in the NZ performance car mag there was an altezza that was completly filled with computers it was crazy. I have no idea how to go bout getting a full on 240V supply to power a CPU.

BUT

Laptops can charge using the cigarette lighter socket right... Possibly get a very high powered laptop (ie lots of ram, graphics power and HDD space) and rig it up to your screen? Or even modify your dash to fit the laptop, say on the passengers side? The power can come from a separate car battery?

I always wanted a computer in my car it would be awesome, i think theres also programs you can get to give you readings about your motor!

Hope your figure out a plan, let us know what the final idea is and the finished product as im really keen to see how it works :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've got a HTC Shift (seen HERE) that i hope to mould into the glove compartment or centre arm rest as and when i get a car, full featured phone, gps, mobile internet via 3G and full version of Vista with a 7 inch touchscreen to boot, will hook it up to the speakers as well. Only issue is getting a convertor to keep the thing powered.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have a notebook form orange with built in mobile broadband.... so i was planning on a rb25det power PC lol lol lol

some how get the touch pad for the mouse on the dash so i can control it :) and a wireless keyboard

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Loadsa stuff available (search google for 'carputer' etc.). No point having an inverter to convert 12V DC into 240V AC and then have the PC convert it back into 12V DC etc.; you can get dedicated car PC PSU units.
so what about the the ebay link i put up? any good?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I made my own in my Rover runabout.

Using an M2-ATX PSU, Touchscreen 7" TFT. Full front end Software kit.

I'll post up some photos later, haven't got any on the laptop.

·
Taking control of the drum machine
835 Posts
Laptops are the best unit I've found when building these things.

Flat and can be fitted virtually anywhere without intrusion.
Battery allows safe boot/shutdown.
Battery allows fast boot from standby without eating from car battery while
parked away. (Yes you can use the embedded stuff to do a resume snapshot, but fiddly for many to setup).
Simple power feed - cheap laptop ciggy charger.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the other thing..... i need to put the laptop away somewhere so getting to the power button is going to be hard.... is there any way so powering the latop without pressing the button OR do i need to run another button?

·
Registered
291 Posts
if your screen doesnt you could always make a custom fibreglass / carbon fibre mount for it to look like the GTR screen and sit it on the dash?

·
Registered
291 Posts
the other thing..... i need to put the laptop away somewhere so getting to the power button is going to be hard.... is there any way so powering the latop without pressing the button OR do i need to run another button?
If you know about the internals of a computer and handy with a soldering iron its not that hard to extend the cabling for the power switch.

I'd be more concerned about the keyboard / mouse usage. Will a touchscreen be sufficent and accurate for you, will it connect properly with your laptop etc etc.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you know about the internals of a computer and handy with a soldering iron its not that hard to extend the cabling for the power switch.

I'd be more concerned about the keyboard / mouse usage. Will a touchscreen be sufficent and accurate for you, will it connect properly with your laptop etc etc.
wireless keyboard will do for the typing and the screen should be ok

button is easy enuff so ill do that!!

i got a couple of ideas in my head so ill do the project and get it up on hear ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you want ideas for where to mount the actual laptop, under the seats is a great place, just get some flexible hose for the extended wires and run everything in the door sills.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts