Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****HOW IT WORKS!!****

Heat produced by your engine is trapped within the engine bay. People fit induction kit filters to increase airflow into the motor. These filters can flow more air, but they are sucking in all this hot air from within the engine bay. This hot air can not only damage your motor, but it is also costing you POWER (bhp) and efficiency.

A simple, cheap and easy to install heat shield can stop this hot air being drawn in. Increasing POWER and lowering engine air temperatures dramatically….

The heat shield is made from heat reflective material (silver on one side to reflect) and is designed for a snug fit around the intake pipe.

It creates a compartment like area around the pod filter.

There is a sealing rubber surround that sits up against the bonnet when it is closed to keep the hot air out.

HOW MUCH CAN AIR TEMP EFFECT PERFORMANCE YOU ASK???

From the table below, you will note that air at 0C contains almost 30% more oxygen per given volume, than air at 77C.

Air Temperature
Air Density
% increase of oxygen

77C
0.9950 kg/m^3

40C
1.113 kg/m^3
+ 12% oxygen

27C
1.1614 kg/m^3
+ 17% oxygen

0C
1.2763 kg/m^3
+ 28% oxygen

So if your car is tuned for say 12.0:1 fuel mixture (rich) for maximum power and the air going into your engine is at 77C, you might make say 241bhp @ wheels. Now if you could get that intake air down to 0C and still have your engine tuned at 12.0:1 fuel mixture, you will make 30% more power based simply on oxygen levels in the air = 241bhp @ wheels x 1.3 = 314bhp @ wheels. That’s a massive 73bhp increase!!! Now obviously, unless your using dry ice somewhere along your intake path, you won’t get the air to 0C, but that is just to give you an indication of the true effects of air temps and their relation to power output.

As it says in the title, i've had these made up, There £50 delivered.

heat shield pod.jpg
hat shield pod 2.jpg

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Superb write up Bruce.

Can you get any like maccers made up??

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maccers????

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got one made like i wanted on my car, an alloy one as they offer the best heat protection plus i wanted to keep the alloy theme going so i went to a local metal works company.

I'm sure if you had a search around you could get someone to make one or if you asked maccer nicely he would make you one.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
And you can shut up to :asshole: just cause one of these wont fit your car.:gay:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i sense a ban coming:rofl: and whens mine coming as have a screamer pipe to go as well mate:dogpile:

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first batch should be here any day.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First batch posted out, second batch now on there way.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i am going to make one like maccer bought, im tight and can get alloy sheet for free.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ Sheet alloy will conduct heat very well so it wont offer much heat protection.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right guys i've got one of these left, anyone want it?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As it says in the first post bud, £50 delivered.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SkylineRecruit you have PM

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still available, will fit any R33 GTS model, should also fit R32 GTS models.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts