Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard at least 4 stories of cars having pod filters fitted and then they occasionally getting intermittent power losses.

The latest person to tell me that he's reverting back to the standard air box on Imprezza Turbo. Plus this chap took his car somewhere and they gave him a clean bill of health. Although he doesn't have a cold air partition, he gets power loss when the car is cold.

Has anyone here ever heard of this kind of thing with Skylines and if so what is wrong?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have fitted an Apexi induction to mine and have noticed a small increase in boost and a large increase in noise! :) Not had any power loss though.... well, none that I have noticed anyway...

Would like to get it RR'd just to see that things are ok though...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Jock Alert said:
Never heard of that either, but some folks do prefer the standard box with an uprated panel filter...
Cooler air at standstill apparently.
Yeah, I have heard that too, but I like the wooshy noises of the pod filter... :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
hks mushroom induction and chrome shield over it = nice cold air all the time.wooshyness and big grins:D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes gentlemen, I'm with you on the whooshes and the grins and the big erections, cause tis my intention to do just so.

May I retort.

Has anyone heard of any problems associated with fitting an aftermarket performance pod air filter?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
In answer to your question Mr Lanky, nope! But I am sure a quick scurf round an internet somewhere might say otherwise...! :D

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
I havent heard of any power losses....I have the HKS air filter on my car and dont experience power loss, not to my knowledge anyway. The best thing is to get some shielding to go around the pods, this should do the trick!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think this is specific to the Impreza due to the position of the pod filter.
I have heard stories of water getting into the pods on Impreza's and knackering air flow meters, hence the power loss.

Never heard of a problem on a skyline though.

Jez

·
Registered
27 Posts
EJ Performance said:
I think this is specific to the Impreza due to the position of the pod filter.
I have heard stories of water getting into the pods on Impreza's and knackering air flow meters, hence the power loss.
Never heard of water getting in...

Power loss at low speeds is usually due to hot air in the engine bay... Just don't drive slow ;)

Knackered AFMs on Impreza's are 95% on MY99-00 cars, just coz the AFMs are crap, mostly get broken because of vibrations. Will definately result in power loss of, say, 100%, because it'll run lean and result in big end faillure or busted pistons (read engine rebuilding needed)

I have a K&N 57i induction kit on my MY98 and it's awesome. No power loss noticed, but throttle response has improved a lot.

Hope that helps ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lovely stuff. I've already ordered my pod filter but was fully prepared to cancel it if it fecked about with me power.

I can't have the Corsa crew doing me from the lights now could I!

I fitted a K&N to my MKIII Golf GTi and it buggered it up completely, so off it came with a month, and now sits all alone and dusty in my shed, unfortunaley too small to be a novelty hat!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lanky, If you think about everything the poor air has to get through in order to get to the engine, then the only ways really that a cone filter could cause power loss are a) if the AFM and/or the ecu gets confused somehow (which is unlikely) or b) the filter gets contaminated with something.

Just make sure your filter stays nice and clean and you could be fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts