Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal ... for my 1995 R33 GTS-T my buddy has a set of G35 wheels/tires he might let me get from him. They are 245/45/18. My stock wheels are 205/55/16. http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp says that this is a 1.8" difference or 45 mm from my stock rolling diameter. Is this going to be an issue on the vehicle? Obviously I have to see if they will fit in the wheel well but will this .9 inch difference on each side cause any other issues such as the speedo being off or anything like that?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes, you'd be quite a bit out on the speedo, at an indicated 70mph you'd be doing 75mph.
What you could do is change the tyres for 245/35/R18's which would give you 69.5mph for the same example.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How will my sidewall be doing at a 35? Will it still ride/handle alright? I have 235/40/17 on my silvia and those sidewalls seems to be getting kind of down there. Oh and besides the speedo will the car have any other issues with check engine lights or anything like that if I do run the 45's?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You'd probably find the ride noticably harsher as there's less flex in the sidewalls, depends what the quality of the roads are like around where you live.
Running 45's would hurt your acceleration a bit, may improve your petrol mileage slightly cruising on the motorway. There may be other considerations I'm not aware of, but as a general rule of thumb car designers compute the rolling diameter of the wheels into a lot of things in the car like the gear ratios throughout the gearbox, the differential ratio's, the mileometer would'nt clock up the miles as quickly!
How do the offsets of the wheels compare, pretty sure I've seen a few Skylines with Infiniti wheels so I don't think that's a problem.
Overall I don't think it would damage the car or anything like that, but it may feel quite different.
Other may know more though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I think I am going to hold off on getting new rims until I can find something that is closer to the same rolling diameter of the stocks. I am not surre about the offsets on the G35 rims I will need to check on that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have those wheels on mine r33 gts-t and i have 225/40/r18 on them! and find no problem with them! You talking about these wheels?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts