Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my calipers off for painting purposes the other week. I put them back together at the weekend and have now bled them 5 or 6 times. The last couple using brand new fluid on the off chance that the stuff i had left in my 5L keg had gotten water in it or something. Still not just not getting a decent feel to the pedal and it seems that i am only getting the fronts to work.

Fluid coming through each nipple looks clean and free of bubbles so i'm guessing i have an air pocket somewhere in the system? Any suggestions to get it out or other possible causes and fixes please.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Firstly I assume you are following the bleed procedure's to the letter, but just in case see below..and did you clamp the flexi pipes before removing calipers?

Bleeding should commence at the rear passenger side wheel, followed by the rear drivers side then the front passenger side, and finally the front drivers side.

If the brakes are still below par then the whole process should be done again, I've never in over 30 years failed to achieve a result with this method.

Of course you could have a trapped or twisted seal on one of the calipers, which whilst it may not leak fluid it could suck air in..unlikely but possible.

Aitch

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Followed the above method for each attempt. I have bled brakes a lot of times (although i'm not quite old enough to have clocked up 30years at it ;) ) in the past and never encountered any problem like this before.

I didn't clamp the flexi hoses which in hindsight i maybe should have done and the seals should still be intact as i never replaced them, just masked over the rubbers. they were all working tickety boo before i took them off :(

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
do u have a bleed nipple on brake master cylinder mate???

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do u have a bleed nipple on brake master cylinder mate???
I don't know. You are the spanner monkey - you tell me :D
Will check it out tomorrow. One thing i did notice though is that i am getting virtually no braking force in the rears whatsoever (i put it up on the diff, stuck it in first and pumped the pedal and the wheels kept spinning). I removed the rear calipers and they do clamp together although not in a vigorous manner.
There is a small box where the rear line splits with a nut on it. Assuming this is like a drain plug type thing? Would it be wise to try and get it off and hope it farts at me? :)

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
farts at you:rofl: thats a new one mate:spank:
anyway check the master cylinder and if there is a bleed nipple bleed it obvisouly mate lol. your rear brakes dont do that much braking anyway its split 70/30 mate and i think the bolt your talking about is the securing bolt mate so wont help you im afraidm,all i can say is clamp all flexis off and press the brake if its good then get a friend to unclamp one flexi at a time and if the brakes jump down a lot u have air in that side mate.:dogpile:

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liking the idea of clamping all the flexis and releasing one at a time. Will give that a bash tomorrow. Pretty sure the bolt isn't for securing the box but will try the above and more bleednig first.
Heres hoping it's a quiet day at work since my car is conveniently parked at the back the warehouse :)

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
im pretty sure there will be a nipple on the master cylinder mate and does it have abs?

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
yep so is 4wd lol

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
if there is no bleed nipple then try the clamps mate

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that was a complete ball ache but was finally remedied! There was no bleed nipple on the master cylinder, bled the system gain twice, tried the clamps on the rears which gave a better feel so ended up having to remove the rears whilst clamping the flexis pushing back the pistons as far as they would go and expelling all fluid, priming them with new fluid then refitting and bleeding again.

Like i say, total pain, have never had any problems bleeding a system before but so glad to get it sorted. Was starting to lose hair over it :)

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
Well that was a complete ball ache but was finally remedied! There was no bleed nipple on the master cylinder, bled the system gain twice, tried the clamps on the rears which gave a better feel so ended up having to remove the rears whilst clamping the flexis pushing back the pistons as far as they would go and expelling all fluid, priming them with new fluid then refitting and bleeding again.

Like i say, total pain, have never had any problems bleeding a system before but so glad to get it sorted. Was starting to lose hair over it :)
cool mate glad its all ok now:cheers:

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
stevie watch your ps and qs mate 4wd for pussies dont no any on here any pussies on here dont hear any what goes around you no

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have this marvelous task to do on my car and I have never attempted to renew brake fluid or bleed brakes.

I do not know what is in my car and am thinking of replacing with dot5.1

Any poimters would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Anyone ????

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I believe 5.1 is the only brake fluid which can be used in any system, regardless of fluid specs.

Aitch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts