Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Word to the wise, in the future, make sure you can get insured prior to buying the car. Gray market cars can be expensive to insure. With that being said, go with state farm. Go in person too as opposed to over the phone. Avoid Progressive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much! I did get coverage from Progressive for about the same price as our Prelude but I will shop State Farm as well.

·
pop the hood!
14 Posts
i had a jdm supra and used progressive & gieco both.

did not cost any more than my rx7's or 350z. i had just the minimum and not full coverage tho...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm about to do some shopping before I buy my Skyline at auction.

So far Progressive wants $1,960 for 6 months of coverage.

I'm looking at GEICO and State Farm next.

Safeco and Pemco flat out said no.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm about to do some shopping before I buy my Skyline at auction.

So far Progressive wants $1,960 for 6 months of coverage.

I'm looking at GEICO and State Farm next.

Safeco and Pemco flat out said no.
I know one guy who said Geico didn't want to touch his R32 GTS-T. I paid State Farm 400ish for 6 months on my Nismo R32 but I also have other cars and my house insured with them. From what I hear State Farm is the easiest to work with but of course YMMV depending on your state.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are not using the car as a daily you guys should be using Hagerty, Grundy, American Collector for insurance.

I know this because I work in insurance.

These companies will put restrictions on like 5k miles/year, garaged, must have primary vehicle.

But you get appraised or agreed value and they handle muscle cars/exotics.

If your Skyline is wrecked or stolen State Farm and the regular carriers are not gonna know what to do with your Skyline and how to value it or approve costs for getting parts from Japan.

My old 93 Corvette ZR1 was like $500/year for $25-30k in agreed coverage.

You usually send them a bunch of photos or they send someone out to inspect and document your car.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually just checked my emails.

The quote from Grundy was $200/year for $25k agreed value.

5k mile/year, garaged and not used a daily/primary vehicle.

Just need to fill out a couple pages of an application and send detailed photos of interior/exterior.

Coverage includes towing, liability, medical, theft, etc.

$100 deductible

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you go with state farm or one of the others, go into a physical location. It will make your life 1000x easier than doing it over the phone.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are not using the car as a daily you guys should be using Hagerty, Grundy, American Collector for insurance.

I know this because I work in insurance.

These companies will put restrictions on like 5k miles/year, garaged, must have primary vehicle.

But you get appraised or agreed value and they handle muscle cars/exotics.

If your Skyline is wrecked or stolen State Farm and the regular carriers are not gonna know what to do with your Skyline and how to value it or approve costs for getting parts from Japan.

My old 93 Corvette ZR1 was like $500/year for $25-30k in agreed coverage.

You usually send them a bunch of photos or they send someone out to inspect and document your car.

Just a thought.
I thought about collector car insurance for my R32 but I didn't have much luck with them for my R35 - besides the mileage restriction and needing a less than 5 year old car as a primary (the latter not an issue for me since I have an FR-S for a DD, the former maybe since I like road trips) they didn't want to touch my R35 after finding out it had 800+whp. They told me they don't insure modified cars with that much power and referred me to Chubb lol.

I might go with Chubb if I can find a good agent since they're by agent only - in the meantime State Farm is a good stopgap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can get USAA...I pay $80 a month.
I just got with USAA and they got me at 38bucks/mo for full coverage/roadside/glass protection/rental car for 17-18k miles a year. :D

For everyone that's wanting to insure their skylines in the US if you have USAA GO THROUGH THEM!! They will bypass the vin and get the insurance on the vin and classify it as a classic car so that you can get the most coverage for the best price. :D

State Farm wanted to take pictures of my car, and wanted to see my EPA forms and what-not even though I told them that the EPA regs are exempt after 23years. But oh well haha USAA wins. Nothing can really beat their price :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Keep in mind that just because you agree to a stated value does not mean that if your car is totaled, you will get that amount. So if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is. The reason being that they'll have a hard time finding similar vehicles in the US to provide as a comparison for reimbursement. Your best bet is to get your car valued by a professional and confirming with your insurance company they will cover you for that amount.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That seems suspiciously low. My gf has USAA for her 07 wrangler and it's nowhere near that low. I'd suggest you take a closer look at the policy to make sure you're covered on all fronts (property damage, vehicle damage, personal liability, etc.). You should also see how much they're going to insure your vehicle for if it becomes totaled. Not exactly easy to find a comparable replacement, so you could end up with much less than the value to replace it. Also, stated value is 100% guarantee they'll replace it for the amount you state it's worth. You need to take it to get valuated and get the insurance company to agree to reimburse you for that amount, not just the amount you believe it's worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question for those that have State Farm.... How did you get them to insure a R32 Skyline? I have been with State Farm for 26 years now, home, many cars, etc, and they flat out said NO.

At first Progressive said no too, but with a little creative talking I was finally able to get my R32 insured. Not to bad..... $600 for 5 months, about the same as my 2013 Mustang GT.

Any help would be great, I would love to get the car under State Farm when my policy expires with Progressive.

Also I live in CA.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Question for those that have State Farm.... How did you get them to insure a R32 Skyline? I have been with State Farm for 26 years now, home, many cars, etc, and they flat out said NO.

At first Progressive said no too, but with a little creative talking I was finally able to get my R32 insured. Not to bad..... $600 for 5 months, about the same as my 2013 Mustang GT.

Any help would be great, I would love to get the car under State Farm when my policy expires with Progressive.

Also I live in CA.....
I didn't have to do anything special in my case. I just honestly asked my agent if it was possible to insure an imported car with my policy and they said yes as long as I provided them with the sales invoice to show the purchase price and the documentation to show it was titled in the US and cleared by customs.

Did your agent check with their underwriting department? Some agents will say no without checking first. If underwriting says no as well then I've no clue what else you can do - maybe it's a state thing and they won't do it for Cali despite being okay with it in other states.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might be a California thing.

She did call the underwriters, she told me they could not insure the car because it did not have a 17 digit vin number.

Which is exactly what progressive told me. But then the progressive agent instead of using the vin he went by make and model. And then it seemed to work.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I didn't have to do anything special in my case. I just honestly asked my agent if it was possible to insure an imported car with my policy and they said yes as long as I provided them with the sales invoice to show the purchase price and the documentation to show it was titled in the US and cleared by customs.

Did your agent check with their underwriting department? Some agents will say no without checking first. If underwriting says no as well then I've no clue what else you can do - maybe it's a state thing and they won't do it for Cali despite being okay with it in other states.
For State Farm, you'll want to do this, plus get your car valued. They'll do stated value, but will only pay out the stated value amount if it's been properly confirmed through valuation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a quote from Geico on the Skyline...368 6 month premium...but when I called back to get the policy...she said they do not do GTR's, but dont want to lie and say its a GTS etc etc.
So there is nothing Geico can do with the GTR trim level. Progressive was a no go too. I will try State Farm today. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts