Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

As per usual - i need some help.

I hope someone (maybe more than one person) can assist. I am (hopefully) soon going to pick up my R32-GTR, and want to do semi-decent sound install in it.

So ... since i do not have my car yet - i need pics.... specifically of the following areas -

Centre console,
door covers (both sides),
Kick panels (both sides) as well as the
boot area
parcel shelf from top and from inside the boot,
rear seat area (up to the part behind the B-Pillar where a rear door could have been located)

Also - if you don't mind - pics on possibly currently installed systems (don't worry i aint gonna steal anything lol - am in Namibia - it is cheaper buyin here than flying to the uk and picking up a free-of-charge sound intall... :dogpile:

Would really appreciate it... you can mail me the pics - gtr-nut.at.trancebunny.co.uk

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one has interior pics ? or has nobody got R32 GTR's?!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Got a couple of pics from when I did mine,
There of a R32 GTS-t but iv had a GTR and looks pretty similar.
The only real difference with the centre console would be the GTR will have three gauges and the GTS-t (mine anyway) had an add on CD player.
The head unit will be pretty simple to fit in. from memory all you have to do is pop out the centre console cover (perhaps a screw by the ash tray) and swivle it around. This should expose another four four of five screws if you undoo these you should be able to pull out the origional head unit, which will be attached with brackets at each side to (in your case to the pod with the gauges)

There is a very comprehensive guide on here, Which I followed with no problems, this covers the speaker sizes and wire colours for the head unit.

Pic of the rear with seat, with the back and base removed, these need to be taken out to get at the parcle shelf.

Here is a pic of a GTR centre console

Kev

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a search mate, you will find what you are looking for.
Did that ... and either there arenone - or my searching skillz are just not mad enuff... :bounce:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kev ... thanks a lot... pics are EXACTLY what i was looking for... Awesome...

Again - MANY thanks!

Mine had an aftermarket unit in in any case... so fitting another might be quite simple (depending on how decently the previous unit was removed... ).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oh and one other thought, the boot area is quite shallow, if you already have a sub in a box it may not fit in easily.
I had a sub and box kicking around, and it cannot slide in as far as the back of the back seat, because of the rear window wiper motor.
Thus leaving me wth very little boot space.

PIc of the underside of the parcle shelf with speaker fitted.

Kev

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As I said mate these pics are of a R32 GTS-t, so it may be different, but I have had a r32 GTR in the past and it did look very similar.
Sorry about the quality of the last 2 pics, my cars in a dark garage at the mo.

If you already have an aftermarked HU it should be really simple, unless the previous owner has cut the wires too short or something.

Hope this helps you mate, detailed pics can be hard to find on the net

Kev

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
they sound pretty good too!, i knocked that one up with some fibreglass, still have to do the passenger side one (might do a guide on that)

the 6x9's on the rear shelf are fake...both the the grills hose 6 inch ports which run directly into the 6.9 cuft enclosure that takes up the whole boot

theres a lot more to the system but thats all the pics i have at the moment

its pretty loud lol

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Humm, I have a mate whos pretty handy with fiberglass too, would you mind if i nicked your idea?, I found the door speaker holes a bit shallow, if you want the widows to go down all the way.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yeah, I had to do a similar sort of thing to fit mine in, I like the idea of having the speakers in a box tho, I had a set of really cheap 5" speakers in mdf boxes I made, in my old boat.
The boxes made them sound really good, sounded so much better than having them surface mounted.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
if its a 6x9 or full range they are often infinite baffle which means hey shouldnt be boxed, they can often sound better boxed i know but whats normally needed in that case is a small sub to fill in the low end IMO

in my boxes i have 8" Re's which are subwoofers but are set to midbass

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ah I see, sounds like you really know what your talking about.
I kind of just threw my system as I couldnt get the standard speakers to work with an aftermarket head unit, and needed some sounds. I think im going to do some work on it now I have more time on my hands.
You have some really good Ideas there mate, I like the ports in the rear speaker holes too

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TFS... thanks... your pics are very informative.... It is really hard for me to go to the audio pplsand tell them what i would need as i am planning an install on a car i don't have in my posession yet... lol

Either way - i was thinking of something like maybe 1 12" woofer in the boot (Lightning Audio) or a pair of 10" Woofers (S4.10.VC2 or S4.10.4), then hopefully still being able to use a bit of the bootspace still, and then on the parcelshelf i would prolly put on something like 6" or 6.5" Co-ax speakers Lightning Audio or something). HU would prolly be a Kenwood W808 with ipod cable... Asfor the fronts - not sure what i am gonna use there.... maybe another set of 6" Co-ax Speakers.

Thanks for all the pics...
:)

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
holy crap tfs that xxx must be very loud,especialy off a tru tech hammer,is it ported or sealed?
i didnt think anyone but me and richb were into big bass in a skyline

imo if you get decent components and mount them well you have no need of rear speakers at all,its just money wasted

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
holy crap tfs that xxx must be very loud,especialy off a tru tech hammer,is it ported or sealed?
i didnt think anyone but me and richb were into big bass in a skyline

imo if you get decent components and mount them well you have no need of rear speakers at all,its just money wasted
lol, well spotted, tru hammer

both of the 6x9's are ports running directly into the box, box ported to around 30hz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts