Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my hicas light came on today when on the motor way, when engine was swithed off and then later on it went off. it seems to come on when on motorway, and on some long private roads and seeing how it is top end wise.

so its something to do with high speeds. but as i say its fine when normal fast road use. anyone else have similar problem, if it keeps doing it ill take it somewhere to get checked but just wondering

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
you need a proper hicas boss kit cheapo 1 no good.or you need a diagnostic check at the main dealers to pinpoint the problem,everyones could be different:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
The steering wheel angle sensor may of fell off, this happened to me.
Remove the steering wheel and carefully remove the hicas sensor box(4 screws), it may just need clipping back on if its come a drift. The large hole on the plate goes at the bottom lined up with the sensor.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it does have an aftermarket wheel put on in japan, momo one. may be cause then. so ill take it off and have a look, if not then ill have to take it smoewhere

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Dosnt it also say in the manual or some service booklet that if you drive on the motorway or any other road in a straight line for a long time without steering much it can cause the hicas light to come on as it just thinks there must be a fault as its not having to steer?

Ah, heres the quote from r34gtt.net

Why does the HICAS light comes on after driving on a Motorway/Dual carriageway around at 80mph for 10 minutes or more?

The HICAS positioning sensor behind the steering wheel requires constant and substantial input to inform the HICAS computer of the steering wheel position (like the steering you do on an A or B road). This is how it does it, when you turn the steering wheel the sensor moves with the steering wheel and informs the computer of the front wheel's are turning. The computer then turns the rear wheels according to the angle of the front wheels and the speed of the vehicle at the time of the turn. The main problem with Motorways/Dual Carriageways is that because they don't contain sharp turns the sensor doesn't get the required amount of input. This means the computer thinks something's wrong (your driving but not turning the wheel) and it turns off the HICAS as a safety precaution (which turns on the dash warning light).

You can reset the HICAS by turning the car Off then back On again. The HICAS light should now go out if the system is OK. If it stays on then there's something wrong with the HICAS and you'll need to get it fixed or by a Lockout Bar to permanently disable it.

Dunno if thats a possibility?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it it does that, turn off and on and light isnt on, and it is just straight motorways.
turning hicas off, does it lock the rear wheels. just someone said it can allow it to do what ever it wants, which i dont really like the sound of on the motorway lmao.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I would assume in a fault situation it would lock the hicas in a normal straight position anyway but not sure. I think if its a problem best bet is to get lock out bars so you know it wont move or cause other issues

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are on my list, just got lots of bits to get haha
but it does exactly what that quote says. and it feels fine so im guessin it locks it

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,702 Posts
from what i remember the hicas unit in the rear is quite sensitive and can pick up vibrations, could be bumps on the road at high speed also causing this or possible some vibration coming from the wheels - just a thought

1 - 12 of 12 Posts