Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not a skyline but I own on so its ok I think lol

=========

What better way to kick off 2010 than with a brand new project that's both relevant to the current scene and this economic climate. Introducing "Project Recession Drift", our goal is to build a full competition drift car over the coming months on an extremely low budget and you guys are coming along for the ride. The car sourced for the project is a 1992 Nissan 200SX in nearly-standard (not so perfect) form which most people will agree is a good base car for any drift project, especially one on such a low budget. In every issue you will be able to watch the transformation of not only the car, but also the driver (whom I've yet to choose). You’ll follow him from his training right through to going for his Prodrift license next April.

On the car side of the project you can expect a big powered SR20DET lump, suspension and handling upgrades, a big fat drift style kit, wheels and tyres, and all the interior preparation needed to take the car up to competition standards. Keeping in mind that we are working on an extremely low budget, all parts and labour will be sourced by searching for the best recession prices around. This means spending a lot of time searching through every Jap import graveyard for second-hand parts, sourcing out the cheapest tuning and parts companies, to a lot of long nights looking through papers and online auction sites. So make sure to check out every issue for the latest news on Project Recession Drift and see the progression from start to finish.

============

Because this is a project to see how to built a drift car in cheapest possible way we are open to freebies, sponsorship, ANYTHING that can help!!!

Its going to have a monthly slot in Modified Motors so its a good opportunity to get involved.

If anyone wants to get involved in this project they can contact Shaun at [email protected] or P.M me thanks for the help lads and ladys

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recession Drift update

After our introduction to our Recession Drift project last mouth, Its time for a proper update on its progression. First on the agenda was to push our beat up 200sx into the garage to undergo an extensive examination to see what needs to be done to the car before we start adding bits to it. The first to come were the bumpers and the bonnet and next the wings mainly because the passenger side wing had definitely kissed a few walls and hedges in its day and it seems the previous owner thought he would fix it with a sledge hammer and a load of filler. Lucky for us a very good friend of mine that drifts a 180sx just so happened to have two spare front wings just laying about after changing his in favour of a of 6" wider set and he was kind enough to just hand them over. This being a "recession" drift car this was a great find in keeping the cost down to a minimum so fingers crossed that happens a lot. With the car striped down to what I can only call a shell and the interior striped out we did notice some rust spots that needed some attention but other than that everything seemed ok so "bring it on" time to start looking for more parts.
With most of my car history in the showcar scene I'm big into how a car looks as well as how it performs, so straight on the Internet i go to get some influences on how i want the car to look. In my opinion GT wings set off most drift s13's so when I found a carbon look gt wing on ebay for under 50 bucks delivered i had to have it, another big saving for us in the long run, Also after a lot of forum searching i managed to pick up an exedy clutch that hadn't seen a lot of miles for free from a guy that replaced his for a paddle clutch so happydays. I'm not going to give to much away but for next month I may have something special lined up in the styling department so check back and find out.

There will be more pics posted later camera died :(

Also we found a cheap as chips engine??????? :drivin:

GT WING

Cobra Bucket test fit

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update no.3 :bigthumb:

Another month in and thank god we are another step closer to warmer days and longer nights, and what a month it's been for us. Since our last update a lot has went on in the world of our little Project Recession Drift. I know last month I promised a major update on the styling side of things, but that will have to be set aside for a more important and exciting update, the 200's new heart, brain, and soul... yeah you guest it - we sourced an engine, loom and gearbox. We were searching far and wide (well as far and wide as you can get from a computer screen) not really thinking that it would be an easy find, we were just searching for prices and also to see what was available out there. Eventually we came across an offer we could not refuse, while searching the threads on silviaowners.com, a mint CA18DET that was rebuilt fully about 25k ago, and it was going for next to nothing too. I know that the majority of people are going to say "why didn't you go for a SR20" - we were actually looking for one but the CA ties in more with our recession budget. The CA will be a lot easier to fit than the SR because it will bolt straight in to the mounts also, the loom along with everything else will be a direct plug in. On the thread it said that it came with a 4 branch manifold, T25 turbo and downpipe, APEXi air filter, and an APEXi SAFC II air/fuel controller which is fully plumbed into the wiring loom. We would have been stupid not to snap this up because even with all that it was still half the price of an SR20 block. A few phone calls later and with the lend of a mates Land Rover, we went straight down to Rathfarnham, South Dublin to collect the lot and drag it back to Donegal which wasn't fun at all but thats the joys.
The plans for the next month is to clean and spray the engine and all the components to get it ready to be dropped in, also on the cards is to do any welding and strengthening of the body so it can handle the new transplant. So make sure to check out nexts months update to see our progression.

If anyone can help or wants to add their sponsorship or backing to the project contact me on [email protected] thanks all.

G

·
Hey fella, just saw this thread. I'm gonna keep an eye on how you do things with your 13, As I'll be getting one sometime soon.

Good luck with yours and keep posting pics eh. :cheers:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
n the time since or last update Project Recession Drift has taking one step closer in being a proper driftcar. Even though the CA18DET we got last month hasn't been fitted yet we decided to go in search of some big power upgrades. The idea is that when we finally get the engine in we will have all the necessary upgrades fitted to it before hand so we can take it for a proper test drive (sideways) and see what its made of. As I've found out previously the best place to find cheap as chips parts Is in internet forums and club sites so back on the laptop I go. What I was looking for was a full frontmount intercooler and hard piping so I could bin that excuse for an intercooler that came standard in the car, also we would be needing a full exhaust system to keep everything flowing and hopefully to free up a few more horses from the CA. After a few boring nights searching through threads and emails I ended up finding both an exhaust and intercooler from non other than Ste the same guy we got the engine off, he said he also had an oil cooler and filter relocation kit as well and was looking to sell the lot for next to nothing cause he needs the cash to fund his own project, all i can say is thank god non of this will fit the RB25 hes fitting :) so once again southbound we go.
Once we got all the parts back home we weren't sure where to start with all our lovely new parts so we decided to polish the hell out of them with a little help from a tube of Autosol, have to say it was well worth the time and effort Its like magic because it all looks like brand new now, we were well impressed (wonder if it will work on the rest of the car). Next month we will be preparing the engine and the engine bay for fitting and also reconditioning the wheels to a more JDM tramp drift look so its going to be a fun month.

Over the next few months we will be looking for a full Driftkit and suspension so if any1 can help email me on [email protected]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I last left you guys we were in dire need of a garage so that we could properly work on the car and engine with out relying on long dry nights. So after a bit of searching a good friend of the Team's Steven (Nipple to everyone that knows him) came through for use big time and offered us his garage so we can work on the engine, and when Steven's finished his own S14 street drifter project,Which will be rear soon, we can pull the car inside and start on fitting the engine.
So with or new found luck in our new garage we thought we better get started on the engine itself. Mechanically the engine is sound so its more cosmetics we are worried and making sure everything was sealed and tight. First on the agenda was a thorough decreasing of the whole engine and a good power washing to get rid of any oil buildups. Next we got out the spray cans ang give everything a good coat of black and red paint which looked mint when we were done. After the engine block itself was all clean and tidy the rocket covers just didn't cut it at all so they came off as well and was treated to a few layers on bright orange which stands out alot compared to the traditional red the CA18's rocket covers came as standard.
Even though the car hasn't seen the inside of the new garage yet, we decided to make the most of the good weather and spray the whole inside of the car. Since we previously strip the whole interior out this was not as big of a job, just a matter of visiting the local paint shop for four rattle cans of gloss black and away we went and in a few light heads later looks like brand new. I said last month we would be test fitting or new body kit but thats been put off until next month. Also we will be needing a set of front wings for the car because the ones that were on it are rusted through and no good to anyone, so if anyone has a set they would like to donate it would be much appreciated.

If anyone can help or wants to add their sponsorship or backing (or has a set of front wings ) to the project contact me on [email protected] thanks all.

pics soon :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.