Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've had an idea on putting an iPad into the dash of my R33 (for something different, and before anyone says go with another brand, I've thought this over lol), and it is only legal here in NZ if I use it to display information about the car (running info).

I've seen a product which can communicate with the iPad called the PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi, and it plugs into the OBD2 port on the car and transmits the data to the iPad and gives real time info.

Now my question regarding the OBD2 port is that I'm 90% sure my R33 has the consult port (it's a 1996), but apparently they brought in the OBD2 port sometime in 1996 so I'm wondering if I can do a conversion to the OBD2 port from the consult port?

Thanks for any info guys

·
4,543 Posts
You can buy a conversion lead as I have one but not used it yet so can't say if they work or not, you can also wire things up yourself but its a lot of work. The only issue with consult compared to OBD2 is it won't show as much data as its very basic. Try searching on google you will find loads of people who have done similar, I used to have a PC in my last R33 that ran software connected to the consult.

How come you can only use the iPad to show car data? Does that mean you can't connect up a 7" touch screen stereo system or PC too then?

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab in my dash I love it for music it's ace I also have a few apps that show speed, trip distance, 0-60 time etc but all works from GPS just now.

Davie

Sent using TapatalkHD

·
12,294 Posts
Are you saying consult is more basic and can't display as much? Because that's not the case, on obd2 cars I can only watch four sensor readings at any time. With consult I can watch and log every single sensor but at the same time, and it also works with hicas, attessa, etc with the right software.

There is a Bluetooth consult adapter out nowadays which you could try to use with your tablet, just depends what apps are available to use it with.

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The main reason I wanted to go for the iPad is that I have a lot of money spent on the iTunes store and don't want to waste that. Also I want to be able to use my phone in conjunction with the setup. There's an app called 'Dashcommand' which seems to do all that I want too, so I'd consider that one.

I would consider another tablet, depending on the options and apps available though.

If the consult to OBD2 cord works then I'd rather go with that, and I think I'd be able to make that work. Can you let me know how the cord goes Davie?

Cheers again guys

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha yeah, but at least I'm open to the idea of swapping to something else lol.

·
Seasoned Member
755 Posts
Saw an article the other week on Facebook about this.

Consult to OBD conversion simply doesnt work. I'll try and find that article when I get home from work. Was a good read tbh.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quick Thread revival, does anyone know if the late spec R33's had OBD2 or were they all consult?

P.S is consult just another word for OBD1? o_O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts