Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering running my car on nitrous but wanted peoples opinions first.

ive got...

HKS GT2535 turbo, tubular manifold, downpipe, straight through exhaust, HKS filter, HKS forged pistons,(unsure on the head gasket), 750cc injectors, uprated fuel pump, nismo airflow meter, FMIC, apexi power fc...

current power is at [email protected]@1.1bar,

do you think it worth it with the mods/power ive got or would i need to do anything else to the engine to run nitrous and if people are running nitrous have you had any problems and was it worth it?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
There's been a few running it, with good results, keith being one of them, although his engine let go after about 6 months of using it.

Personally if it was me bud as we've said before i'd wind your boost up to 1.3bar before i looked at NOS, then if you still wanted more power i would look into getting a 40bhp shot from a company like wizards of NOS.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going to frankenstein motorsport soon as i get a spare 5mins and gonna tell him the good news about 1.3bar and get it all raised, was only a quick thought about the nos i just like the idea of having that extra power there if its ever needed just to give that bit extra

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
How about some Methanol injection? see the link in my signature.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
most people do not hit the nitrous again and again....i have done two or three refills in a night (11lb) during testing on bigger jets and not really suffered with bad pressure loss as its given time to recover, ambient temps are delt with by rejetting in summer/winter

normally its the higher end (100bhp+ non progressive/drag use) users that suffer pressure issues IMO but there are things that can help in those instances such as frezeing the cylinder and using nitrogen boost, keeping solonoid duration at 95% (progressive controlled systems only obviously) etc

going to 1.3bar may be a good idea, would have to know a lot more about the car to comment though really, i can say that using higher boost with nitrous is quite safe though...the-128 dergee liquid has a nice effect on inlet temps which helps keeps the mixture away from detonation

direct port kits or multisolonoid kits are best suited for the RB25 inlet design IMO

a lot of good info on here;)
http://www.forum.nitrous-advice.com/

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have a Zex nirous sytmen sat in my shed doing nothing ( had it on my Z3) and have been wondering whether to put it on my skyline or not ???

Refills are not cheap 10lb bottle is roughly around £55-65 depending on where you get it.

Also have a bottle warmer which I was going to make a heater switch for to keep the temp constant.

But going from a 140bhp N/A Z3 to a (guess) 280Bhp Turbo Skyline makes me smile enough already.

It's just the fact I have the system sat there doing nothing and well if you can why not ??? Has 55bhp jets in it at the moment.

Other thing is where would be the best place to enter the Nos ?? I was thinking just before the intercooler myself ?

ANY MORE ADVICE would be greatly welcome !!!

·
4,143 Posts
most people say that you can put a 50 shot on withn no progressive controller and on the standard bottom end.i have been in cars wityh it and it makes a good gain.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I had a NOS wet kit with a 40 shot on my pulsar, worked very well especially at cooling charge temps, after a year i upgraded to a 60bhp shot.

On both shots you could definately notice the difference if the bottle heater was on and pressure was over 900psi, also on hot days it worked even better.

Only used it for the 1/4 mile and top speed but not in 5th gear as it use to pick a bit of det up.

Also didnt use it on track.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
I have a Zex nirous sytmen sat in my shed doing nothing ( had it on my Z3) and have been wondering whether to put it on my skyline or not ???

Refills are not cheap 10lb bottle is roughly around £55-65 depending on where you get it.

Also have a bottle warmer which I was going to make a heater switch for to keep the temp constant.

But going from a 140bhp N/A Z3 to a (guess) 280Bhp Turbo Skyline makes me smile enough already.

It's just the fact I have the system sat there doing nothing and well if you can why not ??? Has 55bhp jets in it at the moment.

Other thing is where would be the best place to enter the Nos ?? I was thinking just before the intercooler myself ?

ANY MORE ADVICE would be greatly welcome !!!
i wouldnt use a zex system TBH, the one i saw tested was a joke, nice purple box, dirt cheap parker valve, totally inconsistant fuel pressure (dry kit), dangerous at best:whip:

refilling the cylinder is a pain i know but you can reduce the price you pay by about 40% if you dont mind keeping a 77lb or two in the garage, google "nitrous-oxide supplies"

bottle heaters are ok, prefer to see them with a pressure relief valve equipped cylinder rather than a rupture disc type, you need to be watching pressure though not temp (and too add to that pressure is not a measurement of contents...that can only be done by weight)

injection point pre intercooler wouldnt be a great idea....we want to be injecting *liquid* nitrous oxide into the cylinder not gas (it will phase change very quickly in an intercooler) and if it was a "wet" kit then you would have a lot of pooling too......on a RB25 a single wet injector placed before the TB is about the best position but i really like to see multi injector kits on these cars as the inlets are not best suited for nitrous

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
most people say that you can put a 50 shot on withn no progressive controller and on the standard bottom end.i have been in cars wityh it and it makes a good gain.
yep i agree with that, a skyline will swallow 50bhp over 3000rpm easy!

if you wanted to push the limits 200bhp progressive on a 400bhp stage 1 GTR with stock headgaskett/engine would be more like it (rips actually has first hand experiance of this!)

a reasonable amount of nitrous for stage one GTST would be 60bhp straight or 120bhp progressive, again stock headgasket/engine

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
100hp with a controller would be no trouble whatsoever provided you are using the right equipment. I ran 100hp on my stock motor/stock turbo for years without failure or trouble.

You will pick up more torque by adding an equivalent amount of Nitrous to your engine than you would with the same power increase through an increase of boost. Fact.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I will put NOS on my car at some point and i want a direct port kit running 60bhp, may start with 30bhp.

Think i'll be coming to T.F.S to hook me up with the best possible kit.

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Direct port and 60hp is a total waste of time and prone to other problems such as blocked jets etc. Anything up to and including 100hp on an RB engine should be via a single fogger.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
IMO direct port reversion is less of an issue than bad distrubition, the RB26 manifold isnt too bad but the RB25 manifold just looks like nothing gets to 1+6, never ever seen a blocked jet as our systems are not jetted at the injector and we use filters

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Blockage isn't an issue with a WON system, granted. However an RB25DET manifold with a single injector 'can' have incredibly good distribution and is obviously much cheaper. EGT's and spark plug comparisons on more than 400 passes on the bottle in my car with the stock RB25 manifold say so.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
you cant compre the plugs really unless you switch off ignition on boost at WOT with nitrous....not recommended eh

out of interest what EGT's do you see?

im sure you can get away with single injector up to a point but id wager that a performance gain and better distrubition are benifits of a direct port

on other engines i wouldnt use DP under 150bhp for many reasons (one of them being a potential drop in nitrous performance) but for the RB i think its deffo an option from 50bhp upwards even though it may not strictly be a nessesity (sp)

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
I'll have to dig the EGT's out but the "plug chop" method of checking plugs is okay provided you don't have a steering lock in place and you have plenty of room to stop. :D A properly set up single fogger can give better distribution than a poorly set up DP kit but I have to admit, most people don't use the proper hardware for this seemingly impossible outcome to take place.

For the most part, DP will give better distribution if properly set up however the importance of having near-perfect distribution in an RB for less than 100hp is negated by the expense and stuffing about that has to happen to set up the DP correctly.

Just my thoughts.

·
BEDFORDSHIRE......
999 Posts
A mate of mine is running it on he's Prelude. To be honest it isnt worth the £100's of pounds its cost him. But thats a prelude and it might be a lot different on a real car? :funny: But he wont be told. :loser:

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
So come on guys looking at my spec in my garage and if i was to want a 30-60bhp boost what would be best? not worried paying the extra if DP is better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts