1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rwd 585bhp =fun
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for all help re cam belt, now a new question;
there is a noise from under car sounds like fuel pump,
it changes like fast then slow also when i have run fast {80/90}
for a while and then tickover it sorts of stalls as if theres no fuel getting through ,is this normal or have i a problem:boxing:

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Methinks the pump is in the fuel tank, so maybe not so easily heard. May have dirty AFM but I aint no expert mate.
Tickover will fluctuate if aircon is on.
I had to run mine on an emergency half tank of normal unleaded this week as no super or optimax around and it made the tickover really rough, stuffed a big dose of octane boost in and it cleared it up.

·
Old Member
814 Posts
Like you said Buster, sounds like dirty AFM or iffy Lambda sensor. See posts on checking Lambda sensor. If you have just cleaned and re-oiled air intake filter it can adversely affect the AFM,

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Fuel pump is hidden away in the tank as Buster says. Discovered this when I decided to change mine.

I'd go with the AFM/Lambda sensor theory.

Ran mine out of fuel a week or so ago and when she's hot now she often idles badly until I give her a good thrashing. I'm figuring the lambda probe is manky from the crap deposits in the bottom of the tank. (although I'm not quite sure on that theory cos if the urban legend about crap gathering in the tank is true then why doesn't it always get thru to the engine?).

E

·
0 Posts
Yeh iwondered that. If it sits at the bottom of the tank like its supposed to surely it would get pulled in by the pump all the time. Maybe it floats.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
the pump does not float. just to clarify that point.

When was the last time the car was serviced or more to the point when did it last have a fuel filter put in, im only saying due to the fact if it is over dirty and clogged it coudl be forcing the pump to pump harder as it gets more resistance.

Can you tell where the sound is coming from when outside the car/or in the car.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm... As Sarky says, get yourself a new fuel filter. Its one of the things I would suggest changing when you buy a new car. All filters and fluids as a matter of course, and belts if you aren't sure.

Still reckon its probably the Lambda probe tho.... Is she running overly rich or even lean all of a sudden?

·
rwd 585bhp =fun
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again for all help. how do i tell if shes running rich or lean
the zorst is nice and sooty

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
have a look at your plugs,

white = lean
brown = about right