Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

a while ago i bought some wider arches from Ziax and i was going to wait until the summer at first but then i woke up this morning feeling like making a start.

So, the first step was measuring it up against the car to see if it'll fit, i had to do a little trimming but nothing too major and i was expecting to have to do much more.

Next was marking what bits of car i needed to cut away to get the arches to not look rediculous by having two sets of arches showing.

then the scarey bit, chopping the living shiit out of the arches to remove all the bits no longer needed, this was quite satisfying as all the rust i had was to be removed forever.

then the arches went back on for a test fit, the car needed more chopping for a good enough fit.

whilst i was at it i thought i'd sort a touch of rust out under the side skirts.

i was expecting loads more rust and filler than there was so i'm chuffed that it wasn't as bad as i thought.

i've only got as far as screwing the drivers side arches on but next week i'll take them back off and panel bond it on along with the passenger side once i've chopped all that up too.

i haven't had a chance to sort the pics out yet but i'll do that tomorrow, i just wanted to start the thread now

·
Registered
456 Posts
get some pics up fella, just make sure you put some kind of rust repeling stuff over the bits you choped, i.e paint over any bare metal otherwise its going to rust up again creating more work for you, good luck on your build buddy.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been able to do much recently but i got my gtr fuel flap and now it's making me think twice about what i'm doing .... the gtr fuel flap is waaay wider than the new gtr arch is sitting and also sticks out at the top.

can anyone tell me if there is even more difference between the gtr wings and fuel entry than the gtst?
i was told to use a standard gtr flap but there's no way it'll work without putting half a tonne of filler in the wing which i'm not prepaired to do.

i'll get pics up this weekend as i'll be doing some more bits

i've treaded and painted all the cut metal, thanks for saying though

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right then, i've not done anything more but i've got the pictures now so i thought i'd show what the first bit was going like

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and now it's looking at classy with some nice screws holding it all on till i can cut out the rest and put a recess in for a flush fit

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
angle grinder to start with (chopping the outer from the inner arch)

then going to use a nibbler to cut the whole arch off to 2inches from the sides of the new kit

going to rust treat everything with k-rust then hammeright seal it.

i've be told by a mate (who's been in the trade for years) that the only thing i can fully trust is "pannelbond" to fix them on so i'm getting that.

once on i'll fibre glass any big bits and then filler the rest for the out side and then underseal all the inside to stop anything from ever getting wet again.

i'm keeping the inner arch and extrending it to meet the new one so to keep strength and looks from underneath.

weather permiting i'll get some more done this friday

·
Registered
778 Posts
Could you not use GTR inner arches?

angle grinder to start with (chopping the outer from the inner arch)

then going to use a nibbler to cut the whole arch off to 2inches from the sides of the new kit

going to rust treat everything with k-rust then hammeright seal it.

i've be told by a mate (who's been in the trade for years) that the only thing i can fully trust is "pannelbond" to fix them on so i'm getting that.

once on i'll fibre glass any big bits and then filler the rest for the out side and then underseal all the inside to stop anything from ever getting wet again.

i'm keeping the inner arch and extrending it to meet the new one so to keep strength and looks from underneath.

weather permiting i'll get some more done this friday

·
RWD Enthusiast!
795 Posts
looks like some good work there, i'm in the middle of doing

rear 400r arches on my car.

Its messy work lol

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spent so long getting a manifold sorted so i could drive the car in and out of the garage to do the work i haven't got an further with it at all :(

i now have the manifold on and i did a few bits in the powder coaters so i've got a bit of engine bling (stuff i can do in the garage)

i will be starting again in a few weeks time if the weather is good but i keep on changing my mind on how to fit the kit

the car won't be coming back out on the road till the summer so it'll be a slow process (i want to get it right)

cheers for the interest

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sticking with gtr rear arches .. front will probably be the knight racer vented wides fenders and then either do-luck rear or jun i'm undecided.

it WILL happen one day but money is always an issue (if i didn't buy a new bathroom i could have got the RSP 400 bhp kit too lol

never mind

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
seeing as i never replied to the question back in the day and i've done nothing on the car since appart from cleaning and put a few more engine bits on and still not drive it other than out of the garage and back in.

my plan was to get the arches welded tidy (after chopping all the rust out) but the welder i have access to isn't great and i can't remember how to weld well lol)

i really want to get this finished but i think it's a lost cause (although i'm determined to keep it) if i could just weld up the arches then i could get the news ones on and we'll be back at least track ready

the resess for a flush fit was using a bending tool which bends a kink in the metal so i could attach the new arch almost flush the the rest of the pannel

not bad for a two year gap :)

i have had a baby and finished the house in that time too (well the wife had the baby)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts