Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now diy mechanics has never really been my forte, but armed with the fitting guide on here http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62872 and my shiny new fmic from Japspeed I was feeling fairly confident.

So i decided to tackle it myself.

The strip down went pretty easily

As can see from the photos much of the bumper iron was already trimed presumably for the front bumper.

Even so i had to trim loads more off both sides to make room for the intercooler. And then the supplied brackets that came with the fmic were too short and the cooler wouldnt clear the rad and fan. So i trimed the fan casing and botched some bracket extensions

Then there was nowhere for the top of the cooler to attach so more botch brackets were born

And eventually the cooler found its way onto my car

Next to pipe it all up. Not too bad except the couplings did not want to fit to the cooler ends, and in the end i had to grease the tip of the cooler pipes to get them on. And then where the top pipe passes the fan blades its secured with two bolts. Only the orginals were not long enough to to go back on so half hr of hunting around later, i finally found some old bolts to use.

Once it was all plumbed in it was time to fit the bumper. It was a squeese but it went over without trimming

Then it was just a case of putting everything back together and here it is

So am pleased its all fitted, however i am now having running problems. I find its a bit hestitant and backfires terribly.

Any ideas? I've checked everything is reattached that should be. :(

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
you will more than likely be suffering from over fueling which would explain the hesitation and backfireing

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
did you use an original GTR intercooler or the one japspeed sell?

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I remember fitting an FMIC to that very car! Ahhh...memories :D

Yes mate, you're going to overfuel with that spec which isn't necessarily a bad thing (better than det!) which 'could' explain your problems. Reset the ECU to see if it helps, but remember to make sure your wheels are dead straight before you kill the power and turn your lights on to get rid of any residual charge :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember fitting an FMIC to that very car! Ahhh...memories :D

Yes mate, you're going to overfuel with that spec which isn't necessarily a bad thing (better than det!) which 'could' explain your problems. Reset the ECU to see if it helps, but remember to make sure your wheels are dead straight before you kill the power and turn your lights on to get rid of any residual charge :)
Cheers.
Now this prob sounds like a stupid question and feel stupid asking it but here we go.

is it as straight forward as just removing the battery terminal? Only ask as know cant jump car off battery and wondered if is still okay to diconnect the battery and reconnect normally.

·
South East Area Rep
337 Posts
Yes and no.
I had a slight upper hand as i've got a gtr bumper and backing panel, so the upper mounts were there already. But had the same problem with the bottom mounts, what i did was got a mtr length of threaded stainless bar, and cut it as required, (could'nt find bolts long enough) so as to make my own bolts so the ic floats off of all the mounting point's.

Cut them about 3.5" long, few lock nut's, washers and rubber washers to protect the ic. The hoses needed lubing up to get them on, and the top pipe i fitted first before lining the pipe up that goes through the wing to the ic. Can upload the pics at the moment for some reason but im sure you know what i mean?

And it maybe worth checking the joins are sealed properly with the silicone pipework, could be an air leak? Is it boosting quite badly?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Fitted my Japspeed fmic kit to my R32gtst last week.No trimming of bumper iron/bumper or fan blades.Had to loose f/fog lights though.
Car runs exactly the same as befour but better if you know what i mean.
Hose clamps could be a bit stronger as i twisted two of mine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right have reset the ecu and double checked all the joins and still no improvement.

Car drives fine but once hit 4500rpm it splutters horrendously, worsening as the revs increase. Where do i go from here? Am i going to have to get a remap?

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
its very common for skylines to overfuel when you add breathing and exhaust mods.

Older cars will 999 times out of 1000 have old coilpacks too, and these should either be reconditioned or replaced. However, these will really only mask the actual problem (too much fuel).

You will need something to change the fuelling map, and the cheapest way to do this is with an Apexi SAFC or similar (hks vcon, greddy emanage, power fc etc). You'll then need it mapped. SAFC's should take about 1 hour on the rollers to setup.

·
Registered
812 Posts
so much for the intercooler being within my current budget then :(
Its a harsh lesson, but if you want it done well you can't do it cheap. Buy JDM and buy it with enough cash in your back pocket to fix any problems your new modification throws up. My Blitz LM intercooler fitted straight on with no need for home made brackets/trimming of fan blades. Skylines are cheap, but to do them up costs, one way or another.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have a buffer but didnt really wanna have to dip into it. Even did some reseach first and thought things with the japspeed cooler would be far easier than they have turned out.

Doh

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
right have removed and reattached piping and quadruple checked everything ive done and definately dont have any leaks. I understand the comments regarding the fueling but i cant see that it would make it as bad as it is. The car seems to have worsened since resetting the ecu, and now randomly stalls (the revs just suddenly drop off). I spoke with rising sun who didnt seem to think the lack of an SAFC or similar would make the car as bad as it is. As suggested by rising sun i've also had a play with my boost controller but to no avail.

Aside from the intercooler the only change to the car since it was running well is the loss of the blitz dump value, as the piping went to make room for the fmic pipe. When it was on both that and the stardard one were plumbed in. Now just running the standard. Might this be faulty? Tho i dont see how this'd really tie in with my problem?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, otherwise it looks like i'll be reverting back to the standard SMIC as currently the car is undriveable.

cheers

·
Best looking member
663 Posts
I'm having the same problem mate, get to 3000 revs and the car starts bunny hopping, it's a bleeding nightmare, company I bought fmic off advised I wouldn't have to make any mods at all, I'm not happy at all, thinking of getting rid of car it's pi55ed me off that much.

Did you ever manage to sort the problem?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts