Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, that got yer attention!

I'm after some tips. Want to take the car to the pod or somewhere and have a go at this drap malarky. Not sure if a helmet will suit my dress, but that aside, I need a bit of help.

Never been on a drag strip before, so looking for pointers/advice on getting off the line, getting a decent time (for my car's capability), and yet having a gearbox/clutch/engine to drive home with at the end of the day.

Stuff like... Do you hold the revs high and just pop the clutch, or feed it on? I have NO CLUE!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Jock,
When are you planning to go, i went a couple of weeks ago with Sarky and we had quite a laugh so I'd go again

Paul

E

·
0 Posts
Jock you wont need a helmet. You only need a helmet in an open top or if you`re gonna be doing over 100mph at the finish.
Only tip ive got is dont wait for the green,go on the last yellow.
Im rubbish at it cos i cant get any traction. They say theres a knack to it & it comes eventually. Ive only been a few times but i thought id have got it by now.
When you planning on going?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers!

Dunno when yet, is it every week? Where is there to go? Whats it cost?

I have trouble getting traction in second sometimes in the dry so it could be interesting, although the newer wide rims and rubber may help.

Gonna check my roster later and see when I am free, you can all come and laugh!

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
I am going to the Pod on the 13th July, so your welcome to come along then....at the start, make sure your in first gear...sound silly but I have seen someone do an excellent reverse start.....hold the car at the start on the handbrake...get the biting point and get your revs up enough....on the last orange light then drop the handbrake and let the clutch up....and hope you dont wheelspin!!! lol....practice makes perfect...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I fint it best to get the revs near peak torque and slip the clutch a little bit. Try not to get the revs too high though - I've had the revs on the limiter all through first and second gears and the clutch did not smell good at all afterwards !

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
my only comment is dont rev above 2.5k on the start line.

Probably changes for people with different tread on different weather conditions.

I might come to the next one although im not sure i will run.

·
Registered
952 Posts
im gonna be there on the 13th. only ever had two runs so im still a cherry picker. but im hoping the weather will be good so i can get a few more runs.
why dont we just start a list for whos going 13th? can go up in convoy. jock it normally kicks off about 9 i think with the first races about 930 10.
ill start

skylineboy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts