Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to purchase a gtst 1995, has some history with it but i was wondering if there is anything you would recommend getting done to it for reliability sake

·
Registered
962 Posts
Service? cambelt change?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Preventative maintenence

Basically what they said ^^^ full service,oil,filters, water pump and timing
belt. Check gear box and diff levels. And if its an auto change the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jesus does anyone know how much this will cost me?
oil and sparks i could do myself, can anyone recomend anywhere in the oxfordshire area?

many thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fuel pump you can do yourself too.

Waterpump and cam belt aren't exactly rocket science if you're competent. It's about 3 hours work for a mechanic so....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel pump you can do yourself too.

Waterpump and cam belt aren't exactly rocket science if you're competent. It's about 3 hours work for a mechanic so....
may i ask why the fuel pump should be changed and is it best to just upgrade it while i am doing it?

any recommendations which one maybe?

sorry for all the questions but if i can uprate things while replacing it makes sense

·
Registered
441 Posts
Because stock fuel pumps tend to suck balls when new, let alone when they've got 80k under their belts. If a fuel pump fails, sometimes it'll just go completely and leave you stranded on the side of the road, or at worst case it'll just have a reduced flow rate so that when you're on full boost your pistons will melt. It's just good practice to get an uprated, new one really - walbro 255l/hr for 60 quid can't be sniffed at

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because stock fuel pumps tend to suck balls when new, let alone when they've got 80k under their belts. If a fuel pump fails, sometimes it'll just go completely and leave you stranded on the side of the road, or at worst case it'll just have a reduced flow rate so that when you're on full boost your pistons will melt. It's just good practice to get an uprated, new one really - walbro 255l/hr for 60 quid can't be sniffed at
thats great thanks for that, can you recomend where to buy one for £60

·
Registered
441 Posts
Anywhere on ebay that has a good reputation basicaly.

Either that or contact DB Brakes - Dan sells good quality pumps for about that money.

One thing I will say, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way it's just with your comment about how much it's all going to cost - the only way to run a performance car of this ilk with any degree of success is either a) if you have pockets deep enough to line someone else's or b) by learning to do things yourself in a competent manner. What I would say is this: Make sure you can afford to run the car by one means or the other and keep it in the condition it NEEDS to be maintained to in order for you to enjoy it - otherwise it'll really, really cost you and you will rue your decisions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anywhere on ebay that has a good reputation basicaly.

Either that or contact DB Brakes - Dan sells good quality pumps for about that money.

One thing I will say, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way it's just with your comment about how much it's all going to cost - the only way to run a performance car of this ilk with any degree of success is either a) if you have pockets deep enough to line someone else's or b) by learning to do things yourself in a competent manner. What I would say is this: Make sure you can afford to run the car by one means or the other and keep it in the condition it NEEDS to be maintained to in order for you to enjoy it - otherwise it'll really, really cost you and you will rue your decisions.
i feel quite competent at doing things as i rebuild rovers/mg's. its just the fact i have always wanted one of these and am scared to do things but with enough research and help from you guys i will feel even more competent.
i said "how much" because i didnt quite take into account what to do just to play it safe but it does make sense.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You'll be fine. IMO skyline's aren't exactly difficult to work on - being RWD and having a reasonable sized bay with everything quite accessible, you could do worse.

Wish you best of luck with it, anyhow :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts