Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as per title, i just received my turbo back from universal turbo's. I called there bluff saying that i wanted a turbo to flow enough air for 450 bhp (in reality im aiming for 400ish and currently running 325bhp), anyway they rebuilt my standard turbo with garret t04e (?) internals and a a/r 50. now i know enough about turbo's but not enough about the a/r measurements and other charactaristics. This is apparently there stage 2 turbo and they assured me it should flow enough for 450bhp, even though all the housings look standard BUT i can see certain area's have been bored out....here's a few pics....

i tried to ask universal as many questions about it but they seemed very busy at the time so i havent got the exact specs other then its garret to4e internals and a a/r of 50, im sure many of you on here are more knowledgable and can go more indepth about the internals and a/r's. So what power am i likey to make and what boost would you run on this turbo (i wouldnt run over 1.2 bar anyway).

also if anyone has a decent link on turbo specs i can read up on that would be great :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Looks like they have bored out the housings, and fitted bigger wheels. Even with the same housings, that will flow more air.

The ar is a function of the shape of the housings. I don't believe you can modify the ratio too much.
You can only really change the bore slightly, and as ar stands for area to radius ratio (radius being the imaginary centreline of the bore to the centre of the wheel), changing the bore would increase the area.

Regarding how much power, you would only be able to work that out if you had a compressor map for it, which I somehow doubt would be available, as it is a hybrid. Although I think it may be a little too small to flow a geniune 450.

Universal T's know what they are doing, so should be a good one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they were very nice and easy to deal with and a 3 day turn around, i just felt a little stupid asking questions on measuremnts etc. anything over 400 should be fine as i have the mods to cope with the power/fueling etc

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I were paying for essentially a new turbo, I would want a full spec sheet and compressor map with it. I suggest you ask for the same. You shouldn't feel awkward/annoying, you are the customer :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Clarky,

As Nisfan said, the housings have been opened out to accept bigger wheels (and probably the matching core). I had this done on my previous turbo with a Japanese Garrett BB core, and she was too good for a healthy 400+. Its a fairly cunning thing to do as all bespoke ancillaries will still fit, but it is unlikely that the combination has been tested (comp and/or turbine map) but from somewhere like Universal, it should be good enough for the job. If you really feel the need to ask more questions ask what the wheel diameters are, as this is a good indication of capabilities.

Compressor maps from manufacturers are usually a little from the truth (its part of my day job to map turbo efficiency maps you see!) , and airflow considerations can vary wildly as different assumptions are taken into account to find your operating point on the map. Most companies know this is the case so are reluctant to dust this info off for the customer, but if you can convince them you know what you're doing with them, they'll give them too you!

As for the Area/Radius "Ratio", its a little of a bug-bear for me as its not really a ratio that is dimensionless because you can have an imperial or metric value because the units are Metres Squared over Metres, so the units dont cancel, which is why you can end up with a different measurement when it Inches Squared over Inches. Just for info.

Ben.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I had a similar set up done @ turbo centre uk to t3/t4 spec they advised 400bhp @ 18psi was achievable and safe.

Only runnin 1 bar now til I get injectors, power fc etc...

Cant wait LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 bar of boost is enough,stock RB turbo can boost up until 0.8 Bar unharmed. AR 0.50 is good for low end and mid torque...for 400 BHP The turbo used is still response quick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts