Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid idea, but I'm thinking of switching the exhaust on my GTT to the standard one which came inside the car from Japan.

Basically, the GTT is my daily driver and the HKS is a bit 'boomy' with the automatic gearbox.

Is the standard exhaust much quieter ?

What BHP would I lose ? I have an HKS panel filter, but the car otherwise looks standard, breathing-wise.

What would I get for my HKS if I put it up for sale (its cat-back) ?

R

·
0 Posts
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dont do it mate.

As soon as you whip it off you will be bolting it back on. I have just had a HKS induction kit fitted, new downpipe and a de-cat and it sounds like a jet aircraft when its on the boil at 4,000rpm+

I love it! if i drive it sensibly (around town) its quite acceptable. Like you I have a tiptronic so its easy to keep the sound in check around town. However when you want to hear those ponies whooo hooo.

If you really want to see whip it off, however i bet you a cup of tea on the 15th that you will be bolting it back on again.

Andy:D

·
On The Far Side...
203 Posts
I know what you mean - my R34 is fitted with a Kakimoto cat back which can be very loud for everyday use (not that I use the car everyday) I was tempted to switch it for something quieter (even considered stock) but in the end a nice insert baffle does the trick. Takes a minute to put in/remove and makes a big difference to the noise levels but little to performance...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess thats what I thought you'd say guys. But you're probably right. At least I have a replacement exhaust when the HKS rusts through. How long do these things last anyway ?

The pipe'age is rather an impressive sight.

I'm baffled by the baffles, what does this involve?

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
I could do with a couple of screws....got any going spare Buster?

·
milk monitor
1,181 Posts
if anybody wants a stock R34 GTT cat back zaust ive got one just takin up space in my loft, free to anyone who wants it!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
DON'T DO IT !!!!

There is nothing better than the sound of the exhaust, turbo and induction kit all singing together:D

T

·
0 Posts
You will lose BHP with the stock exhaust, get yourself a Trust system they are `ment to be high flowing but quiter than HKS. My opinon is louder the better!

N

·
0 Posts
When i fitted " eddie's old stock zorst " i loved it , the silence , way better than the constant drone , that you get @ say 70-80 mph , its fokkinng numing .........
me i like the silence , but still wont fit back stock zorst, wonder why,.

·
Old Member
814 Posts
Put a Trust system on mine after running for a couple of months with a straight-through. The sheer bliss after the dronning, brill when accelerating but mind numbing on M-way or dual carriageway. The Trust system still sounds the business when wellied.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good advice re the Trust I shall bear it in mind for the future.

At the moment I am not looking for ways of spending money on the car. :) so I will prob take the advice to stay with the HKS.

I have other things on my shopping list !

Top tip from R34 GTT Boy re using the tiptronic around town. I am getting into this and it gives a lot more control over the noise around town.

R

·
0 Posts
Ta very much

Also I was trying out the Auto Box the other day to see what it would and would not let me do. When in manual shift mode the rev limiter still kicked in at 7k. I thought it would let me go into the red zone if I was in manual shift mode but apparently not.

At least the car is looking after its engine, still pulls like a train though and I am very pleased with her.

See you all on the 15th

Andy

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Ta very much

R34 GTT Boy said:
Also I was trying out the Auto Box the other day to see what it would and would not let me do. When in manual shift mode the rev limiter still kicked in at 7k. I thought it would let me go into the red zone if I was in manual shift mode but apparently not.
Yeah I was wondering it does seems to do the equivalent of 'slip the clutch' as well if you are in too high a gear, but it doesn't seem to change down, except when you come to a halt and '1' is selected for you.

At least the car is looking after its engine, still pulls like a train though and I am very pleased with her.
It will be interesting to compare my near-standard car to yours. I'm taking mine to Abbey on the 13th for a check so hopefully they wont find anything too big to allow me to bring it to the meet :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts